Speaker impedance matching

iqi616

Yet another Mike
:confused:

I would like to buy either Tannoy Reveals or Yorkville NSM1s. The problem is my amplifier is rated for 8 ohms and both of those products are rated at 6 ohms.

Now, I would not consider slapping 4 ohm speakers onto an 8 ohm amp but I'm wondering if I can get away with 6 ohms. I know that things will get dodgy if I crank it up because the amp power supply won't be able to supply the current demand of the speakers (and will either pop a fuse or simply lose voltage). However, I tend not to monitor at high levels anyway and certainly not to the point where I get any form of distortion or clipping.

So, is anyone else working with this sort of impedance mismatch? Are there any other issues such as problems with speaker damping circuitry?

Buying a new amp is not really an option so if I can't use these monitors it would be a case of finding 8 ohm speakers or sticking with my Sony speakers.

...Mike

Without getting too deeply into impedence ratings vs. frequency, you ought to be fine. The amp may run a tad hotter worst case but I even doubt that.

Back