Speaker distortion/ Tube distortion?

windowman

I’m just throwin this one out here for the fun of it. I’m 41 and I’m sure that I’m most likely the old buzzard around here so, maybe you young guys with a better set of ears can tell better than me, but anyway, here’s the topic:

I grew up playing all those old black face Fender amps, (my first good one was a Concert with four 10’s) and, there’s always been something about this whole distortion tone thing that’s peeked my curiosity. Back in the mid 70’s, manufacturers started coming out with amps that had overdrive knobs on them. This generally consisted of a single uxa7 tube. They claimed that the old amps had such good distortion characteristics because you were pushing them passed their specs into distortion. So, these overdrive circuits were supposed to do the same thing, only at a more humane level. Personally…I don’t get it. It always seemed to me that we got such a good sound out of those amps simply because speakers were so bad in those days. It didn’t take much at all to drive the speaker into distortion. Heck, all you had to do was turn the volume passed 3 and boom…blues city!

I think that’s very provable; just grab yourself any of those old amps and put them through a “modern” speaker cabinet with some “high” wattage quality speakers and, they won’t even begin to distort. If you want to hear a great example of “speaker” distortion, take a listen to that old tune by The Raspberries, “Baby Go All the Way”. It’s a totally beautiful tone! That’s the sound we all like so much, and to my ears anyway, it’s definitely the speaker that’s distorting there, just like in the old days.

So, here’s my question: do any of you guys think that tube distortion units sound anything like that distorting speaker, cause I sure don’t? Most of the guys my age who remember the old tones are using “analog” distortion units to get that sound. The Tube Screamer comes closest to my ears. I also don’t think there’s much to be said for tube amplifiers either. I’ll admit they can sound real nice but so can a solid-state amp. In fact, I think fenders solid-state line of amps sound even a little bit better on a Gibson type guitar but, will admit that tubes tend to sound better on a fender, (I don’t pretend to know why, I’m just going by my ears here). When Allan Holdsworth, Phil Keaggy, and Pat Metheny all went to solid-state years ago along with most all of the really good jazz/rock players (all of which had killer tones on their albums) I went out and tried a few. Ended up buying the first Fender solid-state model they ever made and never looked back. Today I play a 335 through a Fender Stage 160, and use it’s analog distortion circuit for my distorted tone. And, yep, it sure sounds just like my old Concert turned up to 10 as far as I’m concerned. Just wondered what ya’all thought?

I’m not much of a web-head so I won’t have time to answer all of your replies but I’ll be sure to read them all. Thanks!

Nothing beats old cheap speakers for the right distortion tone!!! The old amps that you talked about did use "cheap speakers". Most all amps from the late 40's to 70's used Jenson. Fender used Jenson almost exclusively. They used Jenson "blue bells" in Concerts, Champs, Deluxes in the 50's and early 60's and switch to Fender Special Design speakers in the black face era. However these speakers were also made by Jenson (except JBLs in Vibrasonics and Twins and by speacial order). Gibson also used Jenson speakers. I think that you are dead on about speaker distortion. I use tube amps from the tweed era and on a few occasions I've blown the speakers. The fist time this happened I replaced the Jenson in my 54 Deluxe with a brand new Jenson. The amp sounded like shit compared to the old speaker. So.....I had to find an original to replace it with. I also think that most newer amps and re-isue amps do not sound as good because of the speakers. New seakers sound to crisp or industrial for good old fashion overdrive. Guitar amp speakers need to have a "mushy" quality to then. They need to be able to break up just at the crucial piont......If any one has a newer amp that is not giving you the tone you are looking for distortion wise, the speaker is most likley the problem. I recomend replacing the speakers with Mojo Tones. They are damn close to the original Jensons and are perfect for blues tone, rock-a-billy tone, redneck rock tone, and good 'ol seventies honky tonk with a Tele tone. As far as you stating that Gibson guitar sound beter with solid state and Fenders sounding better thru tube has to do with the pickups. Gibson generaly have humbuckers witch have more gain and fenders have single coils. Single coils don't always have the balls to deliver thru solid state without some sort of gain boost or effects. However, a Strat or Tele thru an old tube amp cranked to about 7 1/2 is pure magic...............

i've gotta admit, what you say is all basically true... and that a tube preamp pedal, or any distortion pedal, by itself, usually sounds terrible to me, but there are some magic combinations....

there is a certain dynamic, a kind of sag of the note, and certain compression, that goes along with a tube amp, at certain levels of saturation, that you just can't get with a solid state amp, at least not one i've ever tried.

i saw allan holdsworth play in a small club in the southeast about 7 years ago, and he was playing mesa boogies through some load device by rocktron, and then amplifying that sound through boogie tube amps, and that sound was choice. i know he's using those yamahas now, but i haven't heard him live with those yet.

i personally use an old mark 2b boogie, and have recently added a marshall jmp-1 in front of that (through the effect sends) and run it through 30 and 70 watt celestions, depending on the sound i want, and that does it for me. the lower wattage speakers (like the older cheap speakers) break up, which rounds out any harshness in the tone, rather than giving you that harshness in a crisp, detailed way...

i have yet to hear a modeler that i like....

Daddy-O-;

Yeah, those bluebells were wonderful! Except of course for the fact you were reconing them every other month; but I guess it’s the price we pay for the ear candy we like! That’s an old blackface Deluxe that Neal Schoen is playing on “Who’s Cryin Now”, and it sure has that old bluebell “mush” to it. It’s funny but, I’ve always referred to it as a mushy sound too. I also prefer 8 ohm speakers for that tone. The 4 ohm are a little too punchy for me most of the time. Actually I have two 4 ohm 10’s in this Stage 160 (just the stock speakers) and I really like em in this particular amp, except that it’s got a bit too much bottom to it. I like using a compressor anyway but, I don’t like being forced into it.

I’ll have to take a listen at a pair of those Mojo Tones sometime. I’ve been using Celestion rock&roll classics for a few years now, (they’re not perfect but they suffice). I just got the Stage 160 a while back so, I haven’t had a chance to dicker with it much yet.

I noticed in another thread that a couple of guys were arguing the merits of different Tube Screamers models from different eras. The argument basically went that, if you wanted to get that SRV tone, you had to have a certain model T.S. I’m sure there may be a grain of truth in that but I wonder if they realize how much of a “vintage cab” buff he was. They also were talking about how a T.S. didn’t have enough distortion for solos but, I think you and I know that those old cabs with the old speakers were already giving him quite a bit of distortion so, he only needed the Tube Screamer to push them over the top a little. That’s a great combination in my book!
-------------
Track Rat;

A man after my own hometown! I’m across the river in Belleville actually. Nice to meet ya!
-------------
Gonzoagain;

Maybe we just prefer different sounds. I basically like tubes for the power amp. It’s mostly the tube distortion circuits I don’t care for. And, I agree with you about the “modelers”, they don’t much do it for me either. There’s something about digital distortion that just don’t quite “get it”, at least, to my ears. Maybe they’ll figure it out someday though. It’d be nice if they did; we could sure travel lighter.

I saw Holdsworth several years ago. He was still playing the Hartley Thompsons then. He had a great tone I thought. If I had left after the first song, I would have thought I saw the greatest guitar player on the planet. Unfortunately, I stayed for the rest of the show and found out…he plays the same solo in every song! He doesn’t get redundant like that on his albums though…go figure.

Windowman,
Stevie used a TS-9 for overdrive and sometimes a Crybaby set to half trottle to get those realy cool out of phase single coil
tones. You and those other guts are right, Tube Screamers don't have a lot of distortion they are for overdriving tube amps. Most people that I've run into that don't like them try to use them with solid state amps. Stevie also let his amps create most of his distortion. He was infamous durring his Austin days for blowing up Twins and Vibraluxes and playing very loud. I read an interview once and he said that he used Fender for dirty tones and Marshal for clean. I think that goes back to mushy speakers vs. crisp speakers.

Daddy-O;

I use to play a TS through a solid state amp with no problem. However this was only for rythm distortion where you didn't need so much.

I seem to remember Vaughn saying that about using Marshals for clean sounds too (yuck). Why I'll never know. They're not exactly known for their clean sounds but I have to admit he sounded great clean. Personally, I always thought a Bandmaster was the best clean sounding amp I ever heard. I don't think they started making them until the silver-faced era but, they sure got it right anyhow. It's a low wattage amp but you can turn it up to 10 and it still won't distort so, it's actually much more useful than the low wattage rating would imply. Boy, those were wonderful amps! :)

[This message has been edited by windowman (edited 06-16-2000).]

The lack of overdrive in a silver-faced bandmaster sounds about right... The black face models on the other hand will overdrive nicely. I have a 63 bandmaster head and 2x12 cab, as well as a 59 narrow panel tweed Tremolux w/ orig. Jensen. I normally don't use the bandmaster anymore, but it does have a nice "brown" sound when cranked. My fav clean amp would be the 135 watt twin with the pull out master volume that everyone else seems to hate... I had one with JBL special designs and it would not break up. 2nd choice would be some kind of musicman.

Windowman...there are at least 3 older buzzards around here. We call ourselves 'old farts'. Get hip, dude. (I would have said "get hip daddy-o" but I see one of you goes by that name and might get the wrong idea.) I think I may be the oldest fart at 58. Lucky for me I don't believe in acting my age, whatever that means?

I wouldn't get the wrong idea.......I may not seem hip because I'm gone; way gone....and you're not old untill you're in the ground. And everybody keep cranking those tube amps!!!!
Imelton, I've got a '59 Fender Vibrasonic with a 15' JBL D-130F and it will never break up just right without overdriving the power tubes.

Oh yes I too fit the old fart bill!!!!!

The sound that we look for is half rig and guitar. I bought a nasty peavey with two 12" celestions along with a so called metal strat. Pots suck but the tone you can get with an older power amp can't be matched.

Anyone remember the old SVT bass amps?

In order to get the tone of anyone we hold dear the setup has to be worn, on its last leg.

I still think the best tone a guitar player ever had was a Marshall 50 watt w/ 4-12's

Well...looks like I'm not alone in the old guy department. :)

While the silver faced B.M. was my choice for clean (I din't even know they made them in the black faced era) I always liked the 50 watt Bassman for distortion. Also; the Vibro was a good one. Some of them came with a 15 inch speaker that actually sounded very good. Roy Buchanan played one for a number of years. I'll tell ya something I did once that worked pretty well; I had a silver faced Deluxe for a few years that I retrofitted with Groove Tubes. They really did make a difference in getting that old brown sound.

I've got the Rock-a-Billy set up....My main ig is a '54 tweed Delux and '63 Gibson ES-125 tdc with two P-90's and anolog delay for the old Sun Records slapback echo sound. I also use a Gibson GA-40 Les Paul amp. Both had Jensen blue bells but now the GA-40 has a mojo tone. I don't use my brown face Vibrasonic much any more- I've got to find the right guitar for it- but that how it goes. I used to have a black face delux and a friend of mine had a silverfaced Princeton Reverb. both were good amps. I don't care much for groove tubes because they are too hot for my taste....

Oh man! ... the right guitar for a brown-faced Vibrosonic is a Sunburst 1949 Gibson ES-5 with a factory Bigsby, and (OF COURSE)the original strings.

Yummmmhhhh!!!

foo

Back