Spdif

S.C.U.D

Hi, Using a tascam 788 - into an audiophile 24/94 (PC's running nuendo). Currently run the tascams stereo outs to the stereo ins on the a/phile. Just wondered if there would be any benefit in using the S/Pdif ?

I have been out the last few days, and I know this thread is two days old, but it can't be overstated how much cutting out A/D converters can help your overall results. Cheap converters = cheapening of your sound.

spdif

Hi, I just bought a spdif, I hope thats a comfort. Thanks for the advice. I now go from my tascam 788 to m/audio 24/94 via the spdif. Does that sound ok to you? Is there anything I should be aware of ? or any settings on the delta control panel I should change etc.

Cheers
SCUD

This all depends. I don't know what unit the Tascam 788 is. If its a cheap little four track or something, you may want to get your signal analog out of the Tascam before ANY AD or DA and let your soundcard do that instead. It really depends on which converter sounds better.

The 788 is an 8 track DAW. But what your saying in trust your ears, right?, I havent used the spdif much yet, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference. Maybe the spdif is slightly cleaner and maybe seems a little louder.

What I would do is try using the s/pdif out from the tascam once, and then try doing the exact same thing using analog out of the Tascam (without any A/D in the Tascam if that is possible on your machine), and letting the Maudio do the conversion. Listen closely to the results and see which sounds better. If they sound the same to you, then as a matter of principle I would use the Tascam's converter to save an additional level of conversion. It is also possible that there is no way on your Tascam to output an analog signal without a complete a/d and d/a conversion. The manual should be able to help. One way that almost always would be purely analog (no conversion) is if you outputted your signal directly off the insert jack.

Back