SPDIF motu

wang191

Not sure if this is the correct spot for this but i'll post anyway :)....

I just picked up the motu 896HD and it has the optical digital in's on it.
My computer's sound card has SPDIF in and out on it. Would I be able to connect the output of my computer to the input of the Motu?

I dont want to have to get a set of speakers for the comp but i would like to have sound, I also don't want to take a pr of analog inputs away from my recording just to hear the comp.

Obviously i could just unplug them when i dont need them (i picked up a patch bay so i dont ruin the connections on the motu)

Anyway i'm just curious. The book doesnt say much about plugging in anything other than adat and sync equipment.

I don't think your computer's SPDIF out is compatible with your MOTU Optical ADAT input.

As far as the format of data, I think your MOTU AES/EBU port and your computer's SPDIF port are more closely related. If I remember correctly, AES/EBU is the "pro" version of SPDIF.

Your MOTU ADAT connection is designed to carry multiple channels of data so I don't think it's compatible with SPDIF.

I could be confused here, hopefully someone else will chime in.

gotcha.

Let's see if anyone else has any input.

I know in the manual they mention that's it's some form of spdif but they never mention anything other than adat stuff. If it would work, i'd be very happy.

chances are your correct in that they do not work together.

Last edited:
I'll check into it this weekend when i set everything up. Thanks for links on the equipment. I'll let you all know what i find out.

Back