space i am converting, issues with glass?

NationalSandwic

hello everyone

i've a space i'm going to turn into an open room recording space. it's not huge, but i'm sure i can make it functional. i've made a lil' diagram to make things clearer... sorry, i only know the metric system! the drawings not accurately scaled...

studiolayoutbg0.jpg

I'm concerned about the glass windows - makes for a lovely space looking over the garden, but acoustically...i dunno. There are roll-up pvc blinds hanging in front of the windows, about 10cm from the glass. Will they have ANY treatment effect? I've heard that hard floors are better that carpet, but tiles?

I'm planning on building my own treatment panels and traps, and have located very reasonably priced rockwool. I've been suggested 3 options:
80kg/cubic meter - 75mm thick (comes as a 1000X500 cm resin-bonded "board")
100kg/cubic meter - 100mm thick ("board")
80/cubic meter - 50mm thick (comes on a roll)

I'm sure different spaces require quite specific treatment - can someone offer advice as to which rockwool to go with?
The cabinets in the picture are made of cheap wood, are almost to the ceiling, and a combination of shelves and cupboard space. i've had the idea to use the cabinets as traps, filling the shelves with rockwool and covering them with some sort of fabric (saves time & money building frames!) The shelves are 300mm deep, and around 800mm across, the height of each shelf is adjustable. I don't know how I would install a 75mm deep rockwool sheet into a 300mm space. Push it right to the back or keep it at the front with room behind it? Maybe put it in at an angle, front corner to back? Here's another diagram:

trapdesignxm8.jpg

the four sections of the shelving are seperatable, so i could put them in the corners if I need. am also thinking of making the recording console (not monitors) mobile, so I can move it around the space.

thanks for any advice! anthony

I wouldn't worry too much about the glass. You can always put up heavy curtains if they are a problem.

Tile floors can be cool. If the room is too live after treatment then add an area rug.

Rockwool or fiberglass, the thicker the material the lower the frequency they can absorb.

Put the rockwool close to the opening of the trap so that there is as much space behind it as possible.

Back