SP B1 or V67G?

Which?

• SP B1

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • V67G

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

caleb2438

This seems to be a growing debate and/or discussion I just want to see the stats. If you were to have one of these for general purposes including micing vocals acoustic guitar and piano. Which would it be?

I actually asked this question a while back. The impression I got was that the B1 was more versatile. In other words, was equally good when recording vocals or instruments. On the other hand, the v67 is good for recording vocals, but will color the recording somewhat. It has been compared favorably with the SP C1. However, it wasn't considered by most people to be as good for recording instruments. I ended up buying the v67 because I wanted a mic primarily for voice. I plan to purchase the B1 next because I think it would be a good idea to own both. In that way I'll have everything covered,..... at least until my next GAS attack. :)

it really depends on the voice/instrument......

at $79 each, it would be to your advantage to have both......

I actually bought eh v67 G thinking it was a better mic than the v67. I had no idea it was just a different color. How's that for ignorance. I actually would have preferred it in black than the garish green and gold.
I actually recorded my red cedar Takamine N-10 with the v67G and thought it's performance was less than stellar. My audio technia ATM63 was much better, lots more warmth, the v67 was a little harsh for me. However, I love it for vocals.

I am trying to decide which of these mics to get as an upgrade from my behRINGer B1 -yuck. I have no way to A/B these since the only Studio Projects dealer in Colorado is like 3 hours away.

The impression I've got from the many threads I've read here that:

B1=Neutral

67=Colored (sonicly speaking)

So if I want mine strictly for vocals (all types Male and Female) in a pretty dead room, would the 67 be the better choice?

(anxiously awaiting the "depends on the voice" or "depends on if you want the color or not" answers)

I really like the results I've heard on the NTK (ala listening sessions and clinic), would the color you get from the 67 (while not as nice), be in that direction? Like a kind of lustery sheen? Or is it mearly like some eq boost or scooping on some part of the range?

So many questions, so much gear, so little budget! :confused:

-J

Singing voice unheard, the "safer" choice would be the B1.
Two reasons;

1) If your singer is prone to sibilance, the B1 won't need
de-essing as much.

2) If your "room" has reflective ambience, the B1 won't
emphathize it as much-although you can take steps
like using moving blankets, etc., to deaden things.

Chris

P.S. Generally speaking, it's superior to get your "sound" via
the best mike available, rather than EQing for voice.
Sounds more natural.

I'm with Chessparov - go with the smoother of the two, the Studio Projects B1. It's a way more versatile mic too IMHO. Buy two of them and you've got a great stereo pair for any stereo recording chore.

I have used the C1 and V67G, sold the C1. Nice sounding but very plain sounding vocals. The V67 has some character that makes it a great lead vocal mic. The C1 is better for background stuff. The B1, can't say never used one.

The V67 did not tickle my fancy on acoustic guitar and here the B1, from what I have read, would shine.

JuSumPilgrim

Studiophiles SP-5B from M Audio.

Actually some others too, but these are the work horse.

Got a V67g
Will get either a C1 or V69,, prolly both.

I haven't recorded seriously with the V67g yet tho and I have never heard the B3.

Just my 2cents,, I was using mostly a ADK A51 and I like the V67 a lot better..

I have mainly just been tweeking equipement and getting a few vocalist who i am familiar with to just do a little something through the V67.

But all and all,, for the price of these mics,, I plan on getting all of them for various situations. Ill just cut back on some of the toys I want for a minute.

Malcolm

I dont know anyone who would call the C1 "plain sounding on vocals." I think its pretty hyped but tight sounding where the V67 is hyped but mushy by comparison.

Not to get into a tiff but I have used the C1 on about 20 tunes and though the vocals are OK, none of them stand out particularly across a variety of different preamps.

The V67G, if you use with a warm preamp, can get mushy, I agree. But the vocals, primarily ballads, just seem to stand out better in the mix than the C1 does. The mix by the way is usually piano, acoustic guitar, bass on the material I am refering to. Drums too in most cases.

The only disclaimer is my experience was on male vocals, baritone.

I don't think you can make any general statements about any mic and the C1 is a good mic. I used it for a lot of backing vocals before I picked up an NTK. I needed to sell one mic to get the NTK and found the C1 was pretty much a one trick pony that I was using less and less.

I think it works differently on dif vocalists and dif vocal styles. Its no more a one trick pony than the V67. I have an NTK also and find that to work better on some vocals and not so well on others. Its not universal. No mic is although the NTK responds better to EQ than the C1 as its a bit more neutral. The thing that makes it a superior mic is the 158 SPL and its very tonal low mids which makes it incredible on guitar. Speaking of low mids btw, I didnt hear too much in that area on the M-audios the last time I was at Guitar Center.

Actually, I move over to a pair of NS10s for low end, they're not mine but I get to use them and try to do so when I am finishing. Beleive it or not, the SP-5Bs translate extremely well to the NS10s except for under 100 Hz. I have learned to mix around this and can get the SP-5Bs fairly close.

Sorry to hijack the thread... back to the V67 vs B1 question.

Hello! Middleman, you monitor with monitors? What's that like compared to headphones? Thanks for all of the input everybody, it'll be a hard decision.

He MIXES with monitors. I tend to put too much bass in a mix when I mix with headphones, and they exagerate the stereo spread, making you think you have more seperation than you do.

I mix and monitor with monitors:)

That said, I never mix with headphones. I review with them though because its a good way to check on delays and reverb. I use near-field monitors to get the EQ correct but sometimes have to sit outside the feild to hear the affect of the effects..say that 3 times.... I also move across the room and crank the sound to see if there is too much ambiance from delays and more importantly reverb. But, the final test of reverb is headphones for me.

I do not mix for EQ with headphones though, this tends to screw up the mix and I have to re-adjust when I hear it through speakers. The stereo spread tdukex mentions is another problem.

Back