Sources for recording computer builders

Wannaplay

I see some people on this board build their own computers dedicated to recording. Are their any reasonably priced builders offering say a Pent.4, 2.5Ghz, 1 Gb RAM w/ 2drives? Seems like Dell and other major co.'s are relatively expensive and make you pay for stuff you don't need like cheap soundcards,software, speakers,etc. I don't know if I would attempt to build my own --the most i've done is installed a CD burner, and upgraded memory in my current comp. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

I cannot wholesale the system components as cheap as you can buy a fully built Dell, including software license and shipping.

When my clients require a new machine, I have them buy a Dell instead of me building one for them.

[ edit ]

The real advantage to building your own is not getting all the bundled CRAPWARE that comes with every manufactured computer, Dell included. All the system makers whore themselves to whomever will pony up the cash to install their product, i.e. AOL, Compuserve, MusicBox, Real Player, etc etc etc.

Once that crap is in your system, you really cannot get it out. I have yet to see an uninstaller that completely removes all the DLL and Registry droppings. Once installed, installed forever.

i felt alot better building my own....i dont have all the crapware and i have my own copy of windows instead of a (repair disk) that dell and other companies give you so when i want to clean everything off and start over i can without calling and waiting and getting pissed off. its not as cheap as going with dell but you'll get quality parts if you buy them yourself

Building your own computer is DEFINATELY the way to go. You get exactly what you want, nothing you don't, save a hell of a lot of money, and get a much better system in the end...

I built mine about a year ago, with only an elementary understanding...I did a lot of reading online about the process, and if you have installed RAM you're basically halfway there. Once you decide which components you want, they essentially snap together and your set (kind of like expensive legos)...

It seems intimidating at first. Take a look at http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/ ...it has a step by step process of everything that construction involves and also a description of the pieces you'll need. After that you can get pretty good deals over at www.newegg.com.

trogdor, thanks for the links. Any suggestions on what to get for recording with CEP? I already have an Echo Mia soundcard. Budget is in the $600-$700 range. Thanks.

bgavin said:
I cannot wholesale the system components as cheap as you can buy a fully built Dell, including software license and shipping.

When my clients require a new machine, I have them buy a Dell instead of me building one for them.

[ edit ]

The real advantage to building your own is not getting all the bundled CRAPWARE that comes with every manufactured computer, Dell included. All the system makers whore themselves to whomever will pony up the cash to install their product, i.e. AOL, Compuserve, MusicBox, Real Player, etc etc etc.

Once that crap is in your system, you really cannot get it out. I have yet to see an uninstaller that completely removes all the DLL and Registry droppings. Once installed, installed forever.

I don't know where you shop, but I can beat Dell everytime just by shopping with Newegg.com.

THe only time I can't beat them is on the doorbuster crap, that has onboard everything, no expansion, and propriatary shit.

I JUST bought a P4 2.6G 1G RAM 80GB 7200rpmHD from dell for $600. You have to remember Dell uses integrated motherboards so it's not like you can take the sound card out, and the majority of motherboards out there have integrated audio. Tigerdirect has some good prices on stuff, but they still can't match dells prices like they said, built shipped, and licenced. Get a base line computer with a nice motherboard and a nice FSB and do all your upgrading yourself. Only thing you could probably upgrade cheaper than dell is ram.

Pat

Pahtcub said:
I JUST bought a P4 2.6G 1G RAM 80GB 7200rpmHD from dell for $600. You have to remember Dell uses integrated motherboards so it's not like you can take the sound card out, and the majority of motherboards out there have integrated audio. Tigerdirect has some good prices on stuff, but they still can't match dells prices like they said, built shipped, and licenced. Get a base line computer with a nice motherboard and a nice FSB and do all your upgrading yourself. Only thing you could probably upgrade cheaper than dell is ram.

Pat

If you want to use what Dell gives you, that's great. But if you want to know what goes in there, then it's better to do it yourself.

BTW, a P4 2.6Ghz with an 80 gig SATA through Newegg.com goes for about the same price. An AMD 2800+ comes in even cheaper.

And that's with a licensed copy of XP.

I know what goes in there....generic equipment that performas as well as anything we build ourselves. And I'm not seeing where you can get a P4 2.6 pro, motherboard, fan, RAM, 80G HD, box, keyboard, mouse, windows XP, 48x CD rom, 16x CD RW, 1 year in home service(HAHAHA) and a powersupply for under $600.

Pat

Being on a tight budget...

I also see newegg.com as a way to minimize the $$ I have to spend on new components. If you already HAVE a computer, then why not salvage the stuff that doesn't really NEED to be upgraded...(or at least not at the moment).

If you have a computer...you already have a monitor, a mouse, and a keyboard at least. If you're doing homerecording, then the video card's performance is probably negligable...so pull that out of your old pc too!

Hell...You could even gut the case, leaving the power supply and whatever else you want...saving $100+ right there.

I'm someone who usually likes to sell my old gear on ebay when I don't use it or get new gear...So that I can get some of the money back. With computers, you'll probably get about 20 bucks for that IBM that you bought a few years ago.

that's why I build my own.

I get what you're saying but I wasn't just upgrading my computer went on the fritz and it was my first computer, an HP!!! Can we say propietary??? So I needed a new platform to build on, and since it was so cheap I just got a nice dell, and they give you a discount if you don't need a monitor.

Pat

Polaris20 said:
I don't know where you shop, but I can beat Dell everytime just by shopping with Newegg.com.
Right.

I've bought tens of thousand$ in materials from Newegg, and I cannot deliver a full system close to the price of a Dell.

Monitor, keyboard, mouse, system unit, speakers, and legal versions of the operating system and apps, build/configure time, and shipping costs all add up.

I make more money by installing a new Dell and migrating from their old systems than I do from building one. There are too many hours and too few labor dollars in building my own anymore. The exception is high-end machines or DAWs, and I will always build those from scratch, and charge a high fee.

Seems like all those cheap dells / HPs / whatever for $500 have onboard video which im not a big fan of.

Maybe some one around here can shed some light on just how big of a deal that really is- does havin onboard video have any negative effect on your daw?? I know im not gonna be gamin' with the INtel "Extreme Graphics"lol but is it enough to power the squigley lines on my recording software? Is it suckin down sytem resources that should be goin to my audio processing??

Anyone?? Lets hear yer thouhgts.

bgavin said:
Right.

I've bought tens of thousand$ in materials from Newegg, and I cannot deliver a full system close to the price of a Dell.

Monitor, keyboard, mouse, system unit, speakers, and legal versions of the operating system and apps, build/configure time, and shipping costs all add up.

I make more money by installing a new Dell and migrating from their old systems than I do from building one. There are too many hours and too few labor dollars in building my own anymore. The exception is high-end machines or DAWs, and I will always build those from scratch, and charge a high fee.

Thanks for only quoting part of my post. I also said that I can't beat the "doorbuster" all-integrated crap they deal.

Here's an older comparison I did a couple months ago, pricing stuff out at their website, followed by Newegg.com pricing:

Dell Dimension XPS
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 800FSB
1 gig DDR400
(2) 120 gig SATA
48x CDRW
16X DVD-ROM
Radeon 9800
17" CRT
Windows XP Home

Total $2,312.00

--------------------------------------------------

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 800FSB $268.00
1 gig DDR400 (Crucial) $185.98
(2) 120 gig SATA (Seagate) $240.00
52x CDRW (Lite-On) $42.99
16X DVD-ROM (Lite-On) $34.99
Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate (Sapphire) $389.00
17" CRT (NEC/Mitsubishi flatscreen) $159.00
Windows XP Home $102.00
Logitech Optical Desktop $31.00
Antec Sonata case $109.00
Abit IS7 motherboard $94.00

Total $1,655.96

I think I'd spend the hour it takes to put it together for a little over $600 bucks.

These aren't even current prices, they're probably lower now.

Polaris20 said:
Thanks for only quoting part of my post.
You're welcome. It was the only part that was relevant.

:D

I didn't specify the grade of system, since most home user clients are not interested in the high end box you priced. In the home-user, office user arena, I cannot compete with the Dell boxes.

bgavin said:
You're welcome. It was the only part that was relevant.

:D

I didn't specify the grade of system, since most home user clients are not interested in the high end box you priced. In the home-user, office user arena, I cannot compete with the Dell boxes.

It wasn't the only relevant part. I also said

"THe only time I can't beat them is on the doorbuster crap, that has onboard everything, no expansion, and propriatary shit."

No one here is interested in 2.8Ghz-3.0Ghz machines with 2 hard drives? Coulda fooled me.

Check here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=107935

In this thread people are not only interested in 3.0Ghz machines, but duals.

If this were the www.soccermomsurfingthewebwhilethehubbyisatwork.com forum, then you're right. People would be very interested in the Dells that you're speaking of. That is, the integrated video, sound, tiny case with crappy power supply variety. :D

Back