Soundtracs Topaz +4 or -10 operation level ?

Stefan Elmblad

Ok, I've got a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 console. I'm planning to buy a Mackie SDR24 HD Recorder, which only operates at +4dB so here's the question:

What level (+4 or -10) does the Sountracs Topaz have on its direct outs, busses out and its channel/bus inserts ??

I haven't had my console hooked up yet, and it's stuffed away atm since I've just moved, so I can't check it out myself.

If anyone know this, please let me know....

Ok, I got hold of this soundcraft guy who said the tape ins/outs are -10 but can be "set to +4" and he refers to the technical section of the owners manual, which I dont have. I bought the desk used.

Anyone knows how to do this ?

Once I had to do some soldering work on a Studiomaster to change it from -10 to +4 because it was -10 as standard. It was a quite easy job because the desk was prepared for these changes....and it was in the manual. Maybe it's similar on your desk.

Hej förresten,
Hans,
www.hagen.nu

Yea, I just wish I don't have to use soldering, cuz I suck at it. But if it comes to that, I could ask my brother.

Since Harvey got a similar desk in his studio B I was kinda hoping he would see this thread, maybe he's got it hooked up with +4dB and know something about the adjustment.

Hej.

To change my StudioMaster to +4 didn't require soldering but I did have to gut it and change a bunch of little jumpers for all the channels and busses on the circuit board. A MAJOR pain in the ass.

I worked on one of these english mackies, eeer soundtracs topaz things a while back. I remember the tape inputs are factory set at -10. you have to bridge or short (can't remeber) to get them to +4. it's a lot of fun. you have to remove approximately 19.05x10^8 screws and hope you don't lose them. Then remove all the knobs. I mean if you are going to take the mixer apart your going to clean the pots, right? then flip the thing over and break out the soldering iron.

Back