Soundproofing

Papanya420

I am building a recording studio in my basement. It was suggested to me to build a pentagonal ( five-sided ) isolation booth because it will have no parallel walls. I would like to cover it in the spiked studio foam. (Just the inside)

I will, also, be construction soundproof walls. It was suggested from a website that I should use silicone to stick sheetrock on the studs. Put in Temporary screws and when it dries, take the screws out. So there is no transfer of vibration. Is anyone familiar with Homasote Board? Is this stuff good. (4X8 sheets are $25.oo each) Is it good enough to do what I am doing with the sheetrock and silicone if I put 2 pieces of 5/8" sheetrock. Also, I am getting studio foam from my friend for dirt cheap. (He's got a drug problem and he used to have a studio) I'm getting 4 Bass absorbant corner foam pieces and a shitload of 2x2 spikes. Where is the best place to place the corner pieces? Behind my monitors? (JBL Pros) Or in the vocal isolation booth? Do I need to strategically place the foam or just go nuts and cover everything? Any ideas on cheap soundproofing techniques???

The one really good thing that foam is good for is .... fuel for a fire.
Take a piece of it out into your back yard and put a flame to it! Then you'll be throwing that stuff out, sure looks cool though.

:cool:

Also make use of Helmholz resonators.

Its not about "sound deadening" but the control and dissipation of the sound waves.

I have worked in a Tom Hidley designed & built studio and there the sound is not absorbed but dissipated. In effect you want the sound wave to be broken up into smaller "units" with less energy than the primary wave. These smaller "units" are then broken up again into yet smaller units.

Putting up foam against a hard wall wont cause a large wave to break up into small units. It might lose some energy but thats it.

Look at how RPG panels look. They are that form to cause a sound wave to break up into smaller units.

Have a look at the George Massenburg room at Black Bird Studios. Thats innovative use of sound wave dissipation.

If you don't want parallel walls, you don't have to build a pentagon. Just build a 4-sided room with walls that aren't parallel. They don't have to be as far away from parallel as you might think.

Back