soundproofing/isolation ideas for my flat anyone?

michaelq

Hey, I live in a lower flat that I need to contain sound to an extent in, so as not to get evicted due to neighbors calling the cops.
The upstairs neighbor is the landlord who is cool with the music. The problem is about 6-8 feet next door in a separate house. The room initially will be a practice room for a 3-piece (drums and guitars, no bass). Really we need some ideas for best keeping the sound from leaking outside (besides turning down), but I cant rip apart the walls and install and sort of material to the backside of the drywall so I need some ideas, links, etc. A lot of what I come across while searching is studio acuostics, and stuff you can do when you can rip apart the walls. I know a bit about some acoustic traps but dont know how well they work for this application.

I know a bit about some acoustic traps but dont know how well they work for this application.
Treatment products are for acoustics, not isolation. Mass, and better yet, decoupled mass is the main ingredient for keeping sound from leaking in and out. However, there are many caveats to building isolation assemblys.
To tell you the truth, if you live in a rental, and can't add or subtract anything from the existing construction, then you may only have one choice. YUP...turn it down. Low frequency impact sound from drums are your worst enemy. Espescially if high SPL music is the source. However, even mid and high frequency sounds from guitars may transmit if loud enough.

And let me warn you. There are all kinds of products advertized as "soundproofing" products, such as foam products, limp mass products, and gobo type units. Beware of snake oil con games though. In reality, to isolate high SPL drums, it truly takes an envelope that is free of airleaks, and is constructed of floor, wall, ceiling, HVAC, and door assemblies that meet a TRANSMISSION LOSS TARGET RATING. Not an easy task under the best of circumstances. But multiple family buildings, especially with upper or lower floors are EXTREMELY difficult to add or modify enough to meet this challange.
Not only that, but it is expensive, and when done correctly, ABSOLUTELY needs to meet local Building Inspection Codes. Sorry for the reality check, but the whole "isolation" ballgame is a lesson in reality checks. From my experience, there are NO shortcuts. However, there ARE things you can do to help. But first, you need to tell us EXACTLY what the existing conditions are.
fitZ

Electronic drums and a way to monitor everything via headphones will seriously save you a lot of time and spare you a fair amount of dissapointment.

:)

Back