Soundproofing a window !

dialatron

HI ! I am looking to soundproof a window in my bedroom studio at the flat where I am living.
I am looking for some cheap way of doing this as I don't own the property
and will move sometime. I live near a road and its quite noisy. I am looking to make some kind of plug if possible which I can take down in the daytime..
I am having difficulty finding the correct materials to use as there seem to be quite a lot available but not sure which to use ? I am not to bad at DIY so a little work is ok.

I'd use about 6-8 inches of Roxul. I'd cut it to the size of the window maybe make a plug to sit in the window sill then a larger peice to cover around the window frame. I'd cover the it with some fabric as well. I'd stay away from OC 703 because you will be handling it, and fiberglass can put some particulates in the air that arent fun when you move it around a lot.

I'd use about 6-8 inches of Roxul. I'd cut it to the size of the window maybe make a plug to sit in the window sill then a larger peice to cover around the window frame. I'd cover the it with some fabric as well. I'd stay away from OC 703 because you will be handling it, and fiberglass can put some particulates in the air that arent fun when you move it around a lot.
That's a load of nonsense! Absorption is to treat the room acoustically but does almost nothing for sound isolation.

You need mass. I'd suggest MDF, plywood or something similar. You need to makes it as massive(most mass) as possible and airtight.

I forgot to add gents that I live in the UK.. there seems to be quite a variety of products in the USA with its great new President but not much here back in England ..

I forgot to add gents that I live in the UK.. there seems to be quite a variety of products in the USA with its great new President but not much here back in England ..
I'm from the UK too(Scotland). You can get MDF or plywood anywhere.

Leave the window alone!

Don't you want to look out for inspiration/ideas! Sound proof around the area with carpet, egg cartons, foam panels etc. Let the sound bounce off the window unless it is a serious professional studio. Move the monitors/sound sources in the area in front of, but not blocking the window. I record in my basement and I really wish I had a window to look out instead of feeling like I'm in some kind of dungeon/cave.

Don't you want to look out for inspiration/ideas! Sound proof around the area with carpet, egg cartons, foam panels etc. Let the sound bounce off the window unless it is a serious professional studio. Move the monitors/sound sources in the area in front of, but not blocking the window. I record in my basement and I really wish I had a window to look out instead of feeling like I'm in some kind of dungeon/cave.
Carpet, egg cartons and foam panels do fuck all to soundproof!

you could try one of those clingfilm things you put up infront of the window creating a cavaty its supposed to stop drafts so i suppose if it stops air it will cut down on sound coming into the room how well it will work i dont know but for about £6 its worth a try

quote lemontree
This place went to the dogs a long time ago.

where have all the old members gone ?
do they all hang out somewhere else ?

you could try one of those clingfilm things you put up infront of the window creating a cavaty its supposed to stop drafts so i suppose if it stops air it will cut down on sound coming into the room how well it will work i dont know but for about £6 its worth a try

quote lemontree
This place went to the dogs a long time ago.

where have all the old members gone ?
do they all hang out somewhere else ?
You think clingfilm is going to do ANYTHING?! Madness! You need mass!

i was not thinking of sound proofing the window more of cutting the noise of the traffic , creating a 2 to 3 inch air gap depending on the type of window frame sash ones will create a bigger air gap seal, this might help with the noise
but the clingfilm wrap may just act like a drum skin ?

failing that a secondary glazed unit would cut down on traffic noise

if its like any of the flats ive rented the windows are old and drafty letting in lots of noise

i was not thinking of sound proofing the window more of cutting the noise of the traffic , creating a 2 to 3 inch air gap depending on the type of window frame sash ones will create a bigger air gap seal, this might help with the noise
but the clingfilm wrap may just act like a drum skin ?

failing that a secondary glazed unit would cut down on traffic noise

if its like any of the flats ive rented the windows are old and drafty letting in lots of noise
Think of how thin cling film is. It'll do fuck all.

Secondary glaziing, now that's a suggestion, but i think he wants a temporary solution which can be installed and removed when required. Like a plug.

You could leave the eggs in the cartons, that would work better.

studiospares do a sheet material thats supposed to be denser than lead by the meter so depending on how big the window is he might be able to seal it with that ,down side its not as cheap as a shit load of mdf but storeing it when not in use would be easier.

is the traffic noise being picked up by the mics ? if so you could try acoustic screens at the back of the mics it will not stop the traffic noise entering the room but hopefully by the time the refelections get all the way arround the room and back to the mics they wont be as loud as what you are recording

Back