Soundproofing a shed.

teamdresch

OK, I've done a bit of reading up on this, but I'm looking for some more general advice, and a vague idea what this might cost.

I have plenty of willing hands to help, and some of them have more DIY knowledge than me - which would be very little.

I've got a 15' x 9' concrete shed. It's 7' vertically, peaking at 10'. There are a couple of beams across from the top of the 7' part ( just to make it tricky to work in ), and more beams in the peaking part of the roof. There's a tile roof, a single window on one of the walls (which I don't mind covering up) and a single door. Also, a wooden floor.

Theres a new one, concrete walls with wood floor.....hmmm:D What is it you want to do? Soundproofing or treating the room? Budget? Adjacency to neighbors? Airports? Freeways?
You need to provide more information as no one can read your mind;) What kind of music? Recording? What type, bands, yourself, drums? Rehearsal? Garage car door? Are you sure the walls are concrete and not stucco, as this is a bit unusual to have concrete walls and no slab. Are you sure the wood floor is not applied over a slab? If not, what sort of structure is it? Joist size, sheithing, etc? What is on the interior walls? Open ceiling to the roof it sounds like. Are there joists across the cieling, or are there truss'es? Any electrical? Be as thorough as possible or the answers won't relate as well. One piece of missing info can make a difference in solutions and budget.

fitZ:)

fitZ

*hmmm What is it you want to do? Soundproofing or treating the room? *

Soundproofing.

*Budget? *

About €800 - €1000

*Adjacency to neighbors? Airports*

One neighbour about 40' - 50' away, the other about three times that. Quiet country-ish setting otherwise.

*What kind of music? Recording? What type, bands, yourself, drums? Rehearsal? *

Recording - rock bands w/ drums etc.

*Are you sure the walls are concrete and not stucco, as this is a bit unusual to have concrete walls and no slab. Are you sure the wood floor is not applied over a slab? If not, what sort of structure is it? Joist size, sheithing, etc? What is on the interior walls? *

I'm not too well up on these terms.. I guess I can ask someone who might know. Anywhere I can upload photos to?

*Open ceiling to the roof it sounds like. Are there joists across the cieling, or are there truss'es?*

Yeah, open ceiling sounds right - joists/trusses ... photos I think, I couldn't tell ya.

*Any electrical?*

Yeah, there's a fuse box, two neon lights, a couple of wall sockets.

OK, so assuming I go for staggered steel studs and a few layers of plasterboard for the walls, how do you think I should approach the ceiling? Here's a few pic's

Attachments

• ceilingpic.jpg
    ceilingpic.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 284
Hello teamdresch, What makes you think you need staggered steel studs? What woud you do with the studs opposite the sheithing studs? Especially if the walls are concrete.
Considering you want to record rock bands, you want to soundproof, and are considering using a staggered wall before you even know you need it, you need to understand some things first.
Number one, I'm no expert, although I and others can help you. But only if you help us by providing information. LOTS OF IT! However, there are things you must do yourself first. We can't communicate if you don't know what we are talking about. Like STC.

#2. Soundproofing is not an easy task and is ONLY as good as its weakest link, which can be any number of things. Even your construction technique lazyness. SoundPROOFING is a misnomer. There are levels of SOUND ATTENUATION, which have been designated as a rating by testing authoritys. These ratings are assigned to tested assemblys, such as doors, walls, floors jambs, ceilings, roofs etc and etc. Simply stated, these ratiangs are called STC.....which means....SOUND TRANSMISSION CLASS....Here is a definition
Sound Transmission Class rates a partition’s resistance to airborne sound transfer
at the speech frequencies (125-4000 Hz). The higher the number, the better the
isolation.

STC Strength: Classifies an assembly’s resistance to airborne sound transmission in a
single number.

STC Weakness: This rating only assesses isolation in the speech frequencies and
provides no evaluation of the barrier’s ability to block low frequency noise, such as the
bass in music or the noise of some mechanical equipment.

Here is an example:

An assembly rated at STC 50 will satisfy some building code requirements, however,
residents could still be subject to awareness, if not understanding, of loud speech. It is
typically argued that luxury accommodations require a more stringent design goal (as
much as 10dB better – STC 60). Regardless of what STC is selected, all air-gaps and
penetrations must be carefully controlled and sealed. Even a small air-gap can degrade
the isolation integrity of an assembly.

It is a measure of tested assemblys that are given a rating that assures designers the assemblies ability to attenuate sound will meet these ratings. The higher the number, the better the assembly restricts the transmission of sound. Hence weakest link. Why build a wall with a rating of 65 when your door only reachs a rating of 34. Another thing, for every db increase in sound attenuation target, it requires TEN TIMES the ability of the assembly to meet this need. In otherwords, if your STC target is 60, to reach 61, it requires an assembly with 10 times more resistance to transmission. Now, when you start pounding drums and blasting Marshall Amps, you enter the world of INTENSE awareness of every little detail. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money. Unless you have it to waste. I don't, hence the attempt at enlightenment.
Notice that this definition states....AIRBORN. It says nothing in regards to STRUCTURAL TRANSMISSION or impact transmission of noise. And to your neighbors, your much practiced music may well be NOISE to them. Bass Drums cause IMPACT noise. Bass amps on a membrane floor is a perfect generator of STRUCTURAL transmission. Your floor is wood. IS it a membrane, or simply a veneer over a slab. Get my drift?

#3Soundproofing construction DEMANDS attention to detail. Simply put, a 1/32" hole might as be a 1" hole, as sound propogates by pressure. Therefore, the soundproof room is an AIRPROOF room. Which creates a conundrum. No air, no breath. Comprende? That is the real problem. Heat build up from equipment, lights, and human beings makes for an unhealthy envioronment at worst, uncomfortable for musicians at best. Hence, your biggest problem is HVAC and venting. Later on that.

#4.Soundproofing is NOT intuition friendly. You cannot second guess it, unless you like to waste time and money. EITHER, you do it right, or you fail. PERIOD. You CAN improve the rooms ability to attenuate sound by using some techniques and materials that are designed for this purpose, but to meet a STC design goal means you must DEFINE it. Not an easy task. Although, the use of a Sound Level Meter, can be usefull in determining how LOUD the sound is in the room, and at a given distance. However, the use of this meter is only as good as the operater is at interpreting and using the data. Needless to say, flying by the seat of your pants on the flight to soundproofing can lead to a reality stall. And an empty pocket book while STILL not soundproof.

5# Sound attenuation is achieved by two methods. MASS, and decoupling. This can be deceiving though.
Sound transmitts though ANYTHING, including concrete. In fact, sound travels faster in solids, than in air. Simply applying mass to a wall may raise the attenuation, but will not stop it. Decoupling combined with mass is the usual stratagy to maximize the attenuation. This is achieved in various ways. However, it is no simple task to decouple a floor, let alone a floor with a room built upon it, which is called "room in a room". Which given a certain STC goal, may need it. I don't know what your goal is. And as it is beyond the scope of one small post to describe all there is to learn prior to attempting a project like this.
I suggest you do some reading. Start here on HR. Do a search on SOUNDPROOFING and read EVERYTHING. Especially by KNIGHTFLY..
Then go here....READ THE STICKYS!! There is more info there than we could post in a month.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=6eec816a43cf6848fcb0dcd4ab1a337c

No one can tell you everything you need to know on one thread. Especially if you are not construction savvy. And from your description of your room , I can tell you have a lot to learn. Forgive me if this sounds condencending, its not intended that way but the way to ask intelligent questions is to know a little about the subject. It does no good to tell you to use RC if you don't know what it is or what it does, not to mention the correct way to use it. So, do some reading first, and then come back armed with pertinent questions. I or others will be glad to help then. You also need to define your soundproofing goals. Simply saying you want to soundproof, is like saying you want to learn music theory. Teaching you a C7sus chord is not teaching you theory. Teaching you the 60 chord system is. So regarding soundproofing, you need to learn some theory first if you want to succeed. A lot of that theory is found on the link.

Cheers

OK, well for what it's worth I've read up a lot on the theory etc. Obviously there's gaps there where it goes into specific construction techniques that I'm not familiar with, but I'm getting there. My goal is to have bands play without pissing off the neighbours too much. It'll be 11-8 on the weekends, so I don't need to get away with pounding drums at 4am.

I know about filling every gap and hole. I know about airborne and structural transmission. I wish johnsayers forum would work for me!

I need to find out how to do this - no one else will. While I'm no handyman, I know people who are, so I need to get the information I need to do this, and give it to them. So maybe I should restate the question?

My goal is to have bands play without pissing off the neighbours too much.

:D Hello teamdresch. Ok, good enough. But how much is "too much" Will "pissed off a little" do?:p Thats the problem. Unless you know how much soundproofing in STC you need, its all guess work. But I'll take a shot, since you've already been to Johns, which I'm surprized you didn't get any satisfaction from Steve. But he is very busy with work. Sooo. Ok. Lets start.
Here is what we need. Let me ask you first though, do you OWN this building? No sense in modifying a rental. Been there, done that. Second, I hope you are planning on permits, as doing something of this nature is major, and doing it without permits can set yourself up for problems in the least, loss of insurance if something were to happen like fire, etc. And don't think it can't happen. In addition, to hasten the Building inpection permiting process, you need to get a document from them detailing what it is they require to submit. Hence the following.

1. A detailed analysis of "as built". By this, I mean drill holes in the wall if you have to, in order to find out EXACTLY what is there, and how thick. Lable materials, exterior and interior. Same with the floor.

2. A working plan of the room. TO SCALE. And straight lines. Use a ruler or straight edge. Accurate measurements of EVERYTHING. Exterior and interior. Include spacing of trusses center to center and I mean accurate. 1/8" tolerance. Reason is, I'm a CAD detailer, and I'll transfer everything you provide into a CAD drawing on multiple layers. Lable NORTH, and show distance and location to neighbors(no scale needed for this) Show doors and sizes. Same with window. Dimension a section through the building, showing floor to bottom of truss chord member, and from there to bottom of ridge board . Span from wall to wall of Truss chord. And eave overhangs.

3. A rough idea of electrical. Fuses, supply, distribution locations.(lights and outlets and J boxs.
Show on the plan where the fuse box is located and where the supply comes into the building.

4. A list of available local materials such as used for insulation, wallboard, etc.

This may be done in 3 or 4 drawings. Post them in as large of pixels as possible, as I will import them into Autocad.

Ok, I'm short on time at the moment, work bekons. So, I'll be back tonight with an illustration for you. Till then, take care.

Thanks man.
I meant that the johnsayers forum is down and has been for a while - either that or there's something funky at my end.

I've got a friend who's worked in an architect's office for a good while, he's coming up at the weekend to do some drawings for me, so I'll post 'em as soon as I've got 'em.

As for permits etc. I'm not in the US, so the situation's a little different and any internal work I do should be fine. I do own the buliding, which is a big plus.

Later.

teamdresch, no downtime I'm aware of lately - do you have cookies enabled on your browser? The link Rick posted works fine for me, not sure why it's not working for you...

Fitz, damn dude you been readin' again? you know that'll make you go blind ( no wait, that's that OTHER thing you do when ya think nobody's lookin... :=)

Seriously, keep goin - when this stuff actually starts to make SENSE, you'll know it's time to wallpaper your place with 6" foam (NOT for acoustics) and get one of those funny long-sleeved jackets, like the one I wear... Steve

Hey Steve, how ya doin buddy? Thanks for the response. Yea, I be readin, but the more I read, the more questions it raises:p And mostly, I been studying your stickys lately. And the OC manual/catalog. :eek: But man, I do have some questions regarding this "two" leaf thing that don't make a damn bit of sense to me. I've drawn up some different types of scenarios for two leaf walls, floors and ceiling/roof assemblys. I'll post em this weekend on your forum. Hey, about the hemholtz formula reply, don't take my questions as an afront, even though they may sound like it Steve. You know me. Always questioning everything, like "why didn't my new muffler bearings stop the blue smoke? The sales guy said they were "top notch"...special...high tech....made of titanium....AND he'd make me a deal of the century...if I bought a 10 pack he'd let me have em at half price....I mean, wtf, how can ya go wrong! I know, I bet they were made in China.....:D

fitZ
:)

Hey Steve, how ya doin buddy? Thanks for the response. Yea, I be readin, but the more I read, the more questions it raises:p And mostly, I been studying your stickys lately. And the OC manual/catalog. :eek: But man, I do have some questions regarding this "two" leaf thing that don't make a damn bit of sense to me. I've drawn up some different types of scenarios for two leaf walls, floors and ceiling/roof assemblys. I'll post em this weekend on your forum. Hey, about the hemholtz formula reply, don't take my questions as an afront, even though they may sound like it Steve. You know me. Always questioning everything, like "why didn't my new muffler bearings stop that damn blue smoke? The sales guy said they were "top notch"...special...high tech....made of titanium....AND he'd make me a deal of the century...if I bought a 10 pack he'd let me have em at half price....I mean, wtf, how can ya go wrong! Crap, I bet they were made in China.....:D hmmmmmm, time for one of those jackets.
:)

Hey, gimme a while on the 2-leaf thing - I'm just getting started on running a theory by some of the guys I consider more knowledgeable than I am, and will hopefully have a few answers in a few days.

Meantime, I have 7 major projects to whip before I can get started on the new studio, and almost enough bread to pull 'em off if I only farm out the concrete work - probably means I'll be at least as scarce around here as I've been lately, so I'll have to put John's site ahead of the others. Even that one may get put on hold every other day or so, sure would be nice if I could make about a dozen clones who knew what I know but weren't as damn stubborn and didn't eat as much... Steve

Gotcha Steve.....hey, you mean to tell me your about ready to start the REAL studio.
:eek: How come we haven't seen your plans?:mad: :p OH! oh yea, trade secrets huh?
The stuff thats goin in your book? OH, I get it now....those projects .....its all makin sense now. OK, you won't forget your friends once your famous will ya? You'll probably be so busy with all the invitational speaking engagements, and the AES siminars, not to mention the studio building video, and .....hey, can I at least get a ride in your LIMO?:D

Hey, whats the name of the studio? Man, all this time and we've heard NOTHING about what YOUR planning. OOPS there I go again pryin. Well, can't blame a fella for tryin huh? Ok, enough already. Don't be too scarce Steve. Afterall, who am I gonna depend on to straighten out my mistakes huh? ha! Take care buddy, and don't run your batteries too low!

fitZ

Hey Fitz - we both WISH I was ready to start the studio - those other projects are NOT studio related, other than they need to be done so I'll get the peace I need so I CAN do the studio...

No plans finalized yet, other than main shell 8" concrete plus inner steel/gypsum envelope, Tracking room approx. AVERAGE dim's 37' x 26' with 16 foot ceilings, no parallels, dim's adjusted slightly so that no axial modes coincide with any musical note when at concert pitch - may not be able to do that with tangential and oblique modes, but they're weaker anyway. Ive not even started on a floor plan, but will also include a large drum room and at least 3 other iso's (one for the leslie, one for amps, one for vocals)

The shell plus inner wall calculates out at STC 95, with 55 dB TL clear down to 50 hZ (the lowest the calculator does) and a mass-air-mass resonance of 26 hZ (4.5 hZ BELOW the low B on my 6-string fretless)

I'll obviously have to do a serious sound lock not to compromise that isolation, it will be double stud gypsum with 2" gypsum on one frame, 2.5" gypsum on the other frame, 12" air gap, and custom built doors (no parallels in lock, heavily absorbed)

Beyond that, it's still up for grabs, and like I said probably at least 3 years away still (sigh...)

those other projects are NOT studio related, other than they need to be done

Man do I know about those.:mad: Like today...shootin texture is something I absolutely detest. Unless it was in the studio..heheeheh:p but, gotta keep the little lady happy too! She's the #1 priority. And then there is the shop. You'd think a $**&$%hurricane happened in there this winter. and then theres the firewood...., new muffler bearings to install, yard(I just love dogshit), ....ok, think ORGONIAN rick...

!!!!OH BOY! LOTS OF STUFF TO WORK ON...HOW FUN, MAN I CAN'T WAIT.. and when those are done....lets see, ah yes, THE POLE BARN.....COOL...I'll fix the gutters that fell during these storms, man that'll be a BLAST....OH! hey, I 'll even have time to clean the chiminy..WOW! this is gettin good now...TONS of forest debrie to haul out of the property....ohhh man... I just love those weekend projects....I mean, I'm SOOOOO thankful I don't have to work on the studio ......:rolleyes: ;)(just kiddin Steve, really I am..arrggggrrrrrr#%^&#&*$##@$^:D ) well, it's time to go get some peace!! Have a GREAT weekend Steve.
fitZ:p

ps...sorry teamdresch, I get carried away sometimes....but where the hell else am I going to have FUN!!

Back