SoundForge and Mastering....

crispycutz

or Amatuering.....lol....

How can sound forge be used in the mixing stages???

Is it better to import tracks and "Juice" em up in SF??? (rather than CEP?)

My problem in responding to questions like this is that I'm too cheap to go out and buy every software product out there, and too ethical to use cracked/pirated software. I am a die-hard Sonic Foundry user (Sound Forge 6, Acid Pro 4, Vegas 5, CDA2), and so it makes it difficult for me to give advice just because I don't know the software being asked about.

But this may be relevant. The thing I love about Vegas is that everything you do is non-destructive. You can chop up an event, eq the smeg out of it, add tons of fx to it, mangle it all to hell, and still the original file is left alone. This gives you lots of room to make mistakes and try again.

So, my initial answer would be, "Yes, Sound Forge would be great for manipulating individual files. It has lots of plug-ins and is easy to use."

But I would caution against doing anything that you can't later undo. At the very least, mess with a copy of the file.

Thanks..

Im totally against using pirated software as well,

I've been an avid Cool Edit user for over a year...and just started learning SF in an audio Engineering class at school.

I was curious if maybe SF could do something better along the lines of Compression, or EQ, to either a vocal or voice over track,

or to the mixdown as a whole...

i"M KINDa glad you posted this, I'm workin wit Sound Forge 7.0 and tryna get advice, you know how to get air out, things like that, hopefully sombody'll come thru and give good advice

If you want to learn Sound Forge from the inside out, go to the www.vasst.com website. They have a tutorial DVD. If it's as good as their other DVDs it should be excellent.

I use Vegas to get my tracks and render them to WAV format. Then I use Sound Forge 7.0 to save it as virtually any sound file format I wish!
Take a look...
http://www.groovespace.org/pics/forgescreen.jpg

It's also a great tool to expand the creativity of sound. Open a file in it and explore the effects! It's easy and fun AND you end up with some cool background effects that mix in nicely in Vegas on another track.

I think it's a great tool.

I use Vegas to multitrack, and right-click a track, open in sound forge and modify files. Then once I close out sound forge, vegas picks up the newly modified file.

Back