Soundcraft Topaz question

Stefan Elmblad

Soundtracs Topaz question

I bought a used Soundtracs Topaz Project 8. Now, the soundcraft website doesn't allow download of .pdf on equipment not in production. They refer to local dealers who can order a user manual which I have to pay for.

I don't need a manual to operate the console, but I do have a few questions that I would appreciate if someone could help me with.

1. The aux/effects returns are on one single jack. Surely it must be a stereo jack, and supposed to be used with a Y-cord for a stereo return from an effects unit. Which is left or right, the ring or the tip ?

2. What level do the ins and outs carry ? -10dB or +4dB ? Is it the same for all in/outs or are, as an exampe, the mains out different ?

3. Something else I should think about ?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Message edited cuz of sum typing errors

Last edited:
Didja mean Soundtracs? Maybe the wrong website, or maybe an inadvertent typing error. Just trying to help.

Pete

not a topaz but

i have a soundtracs fm...
let me make some guesses as to your questions,

i think the aux returns are mono. do they have a panning knob? if they do then they are almost surely mono. how many returns do you have? if they outnumber the sends by a factor of 2... then they are also likely mono.

as far as the outputs, my board has an amazing collection of different output types. -10, +4 and yes, even 0. the tape output is +4, and the mix out is 0. i think.. cant remember. point is: you may need the manual, or spend some time testing it.

i went ahead and ordered the manual for mine. i think it might be worth it for you as well. sort of expensive $50. but it also was a service manual, so if my console breaks down i can give it to the tech. may save time/money in the future.

i think i got it from this address: vti@soundtracs.com

and let me welcome you to the soundtracs club! great value console. really cheap, undervalued consoles. decent pres, decent eq. tons of features.

Well, the aux returns are stereo as I suspected. Patched a Y-cable (1 stereoplug to 2xmono) and connected a rackunit with a pan effect and it worked as I thought.

The only Q left are the -10/+4 levels, but I guess I find that out too.

I've had this desk several years ago (very good choise btw) and I remember it can be both. You have the option to solder two connections on the mainboard and it switches from -10 to +4.

I hope I recall this correct, if not ,somebody should correct me, and send me another beer.

cheers!

Back