• Soundcraft ghost 32

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • pair of Yamaha 02R

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

aquanuke

Im considering buying a new mixer. Im looking at a used one and am considering between Soundcraft ghost 32 or Yamaha 02R. If I went with the Yamaha then I might also get a second one at a latter date as well.

Obviously a rather open questions :)

Soundcraft ghost 32 or pair of Yamaha 02R?

Ghosts sound fine, but so do the Yamaha's. The Newer 02R however definately sounds better than the older ones. They also can double as control surfaces. How do you really plan on using the console?

How do you really plan on using the console?

Mainly just guitars, drums etc being recorded direct to a standalone 24t h/d recorder. Although im not big on PC recording there would also be some and also a fair bit of pc controlling a Roland TD20 drum module also drumkits from hell.

I dont need much tbh and I prefer to keep it simple ie not too much pc involvement. I guess I want somthing thats reliable and the Soundcraft looks like a sturdy beast. Im also thinking the Yamaha being digital means theres more to go wrong?

My only against the soundcraft is maybe it seems a little old now, but its not dated is it?

I have a Ghost w/Midi automation connected to an HD-24 and while there may be better sounding boards, I am very happy with my results. I also have pc interfaces but always end up mixing on the Ghost; I'm just not into mixing in the box (not that there is anything wrong with that). If you want that analog "feel" then the Ghost is not a bad choice for a budget studio; you could do much worse.

Analog consoles don't really get "dated" too quickly. They are what they are. Digital consoles seem to get that way just because things change so fast in the digital realm. In the end however, I would not consider it to really be "dated" either. If you compare to the newest latest and greatest I could see how you might see it that way though. Either way though, it will still do everything it did when it was new.

As for longevity and things going wrong, I would almost say that the yamaha might be a little better that way. The thing is with analog desks, things start to need work in little peices. A pot here and there, maybe a channel here and there etc... With digital things typicall y don't work that way. With digital, when things go wrong, everything kind of goes wrong. It really depends on how you look at it I guess. Yamaha builds a pretty solid digital console. If you are looking at the 02R 96, that is a pretty good sounding digital desk. Keep in mind though that there will be a pretty steep learning curve. As for the build on the Soundcraft ghost, it is pretty decent. Soundcraft still cut a lot of corners when you compare it to the nicer stuff, but it is still a fairly solid build. The biggest problem with them seems to be power supplies going out, and the use of cheaper pots and switches. The power supply issue is hard to track down because not everyone maintains them like they should. The pots and switches are unfortunate, but in the scheme of things is a relatively cheap and easy thing to buy, maintain and replace.

The biggest thing here is that it is hard to compare these two things because they are so different. The SOundcraft with have a little more "character" in its sound, but the yamaha will be a little more neutral sounding. The Soundcraft is a budget inline console where the 02R96 is a miid range digital console. The yamah offers a lot more features, but may require some add on cards to get the right i.o count for what you need. In the end, from what you have described, I would probably go with the Soundcraft since you plan on using with an outboard 24 track. The SOundcraft will give you all the i/o need right away without upgrades, and will be a little easier to learn. If you were runing pretty tightly with a DAW, then the yamaha may have been a better way to go for the integration there. Basically, the Ghost was designed to pair up with a multitrack machine and offers in line monitoring like a tradtional studio desk.

Analog consoles don't really get "dated" too quickly. They are what they are. Digital consoles seem to get that way just because things change so fast in the digital realm. In the end however, I would not consider it to really be "dated" either. If you compare to the newest latest and greatest I could see how you might see it that way though. Either way though, it will still do everything it did when it was new.

As for longevity and things going wrong, I would almost say that the yamaha might be a little better that way. The thing is with analog desks, things start to need work in little peices. A pot here and there, maybe a channel here and there etc... With digital things typicall y don't work that way. With digital, when things go wrong, everything kind of goes wrong. It really depends on how you look at it I guess. Yamaha builds a pretty solid digital console. If you are looking at the 02R 96, that is a pretty good sounding digital desk. Keep in mind though that there will be a pretty steep learning curve. As for the build on the Soundcraft ghost, it is pretty decent. Soundcraft still cut a lot of corners when you compare it to the nicer stuff, but it is still a fairly solid build. The biggest problem with them seems to be power supplies going out, and the use of cheaper pots and switches. The power supply issue is hard to track down because not everyone maintains them like they should. The pots and switches are unfortunate, but in the scheme of things is a relatively cheap and easy thing to buy, maintain and replace.

The biggest thing here is that it is hard to compare these two things because they are so different. The SOundcraft with have a little more "character" in its sound, but the yamaha will be a little more neutral sounding. The Soundcraft is a budget inline console where the 02R96 is a miid range digital console. The yamah offers a lot more features, but may require some add on cards to get the right i.o count for what you need. In the end, from what you have described, I would probably go with the Soundcraft since you plan on using with an outboard 24 track. The SOundcraft will give you all the i/o need right away without upgrades, and will be a little easier to learn. If you were runing pretty tightly with a DAW, then the yamaha may have been a better way to go for the integration there. Basically, the Ghost was designed to pair up with a multitrack machine and offers in line monitoring like a tradtional studio desk.

One thing really nice about the Ghost is it is designed more like a large frame console. Each channel is an individual circuit card that can easily be removed if repair is necessary. Even if you remove a channel(s) the rest of the board stll works without any problems (except you may miss the channel) so you are not dead in the water.
I got a spare channel strip from soundcraft just in case but so far it's'just been sitting in the box.

The yamaha offers a lot more features, but may require some add on cards to get the right i.o count for what you need. In the end, from what you have described, I would probably go with the Soundcraft since you plan on using with an outboard 24 track. The SOundcraft will give you all the i/o need right away without upgrades, and will be a little easier to learn. If you were runing pretty tightly with a DAW, then the yamaha may have been a better way to go for the integration there. Basically, the Ghost was designed to pair up with a multitrack machine and offers in line monitoring like a tradtional studio desk.

If your 24-track recorder has mostly digital in/out, I would go for the 02r. If your 24-track has mostly analog I/O, I would go for the ghost.

It would require a lot of ADA cards on an 02r to use it with an analog multitracker. Plus, you would be re-sampling over and over again.

Personally, i think its much more fun to mix out-of-the box on an analog board.

Back