Soundcraft E and M series mixer question

DAFFYDRUNK

Sorry for the book and thanx for any replies or advice.

Getting closer to having the money I need to get my "studio" going. I thought the E8 and M8 series Spirits looks interesting since people dig the pre's and the M series spdif output. Then I read since they're just stereo bus consoles, they probably wouldn't work the way I want, and I really need a 4 bus. Here's what I wanna do. Maybe somone can tell me if these things have the capability to do this.... or offer something else that would work good.... or if I need a brain transplant. :D

-Budget: New mixer around ~$500.
-I want 8 mic inputs. Using 3 right away, and extras to grow.

-Want to be able to route signal from the input channels to sound card inputs so I can "set and forget". I'll have 2 mics and my bass hooked up. Once I have everything set, I want to leave it so I only have to push a couple buttons to use whatever channel.

-Don't wanna mess with patching wires. I thought this would be good for consitency between recordings since the setup would be exactly the same.

-Wanna use the inserts for my compressors and not have to patch out of em to get a direct singal.

- Wanna send the signal to the input on the sound card while monitoring the sound card output simultanously through headphones, or monitors hooked to the mixer.

I'm kinda a newbie but I think I want to route what I'm recording throuh a separate bus so I don't have to patch stuff. The M8 is only a stereo bus correct?... and wouldn't work without swapping patch cables left and right?

-Want to be able to route signal from the input channels to sound card inputs so I can "set and forget". I'll have 2 mics and my bass hooked up. Once I have everything set, I want to leave it so I only have to push a couple buttons to use whatever channel.

This can be done - just plug in the mics and plug the cable from the direct out from the channel to the soundcard.

-Wanna use the inserts for my compressors and not have to patch out of em to get a direct singal.

Not sure what you mean - but basically you take your compressor - hook it into the insert and then all you ever have to tend to are the settings...

- Wanna send the signal to the input on the sound card while monitoring the sound card output simultanously through headphones, or monitors hooked to the mixer.

I believe you are trying to hear tracks already laid down while you record another. This can simply be done by going from the soundcard out to the in on a channel. Then just click the PFL (pre-fade listen) button and set the gain...

I've also been in a Quandary between the M12 and the E12. My conclusion is that the M12 is better for recording. The biggest issue being is that the M12 has Direct Outs of each channel, while the E12 can be sent to the soundcard via the inserts, I find that the Inserts are very hard to control because the are pre everything. You will pay a little more for the M12 (at least here in Canada) but after researching it I think it is worth it. IMO

So it has direct outs as well as inserts? That makes a difference although I'd probably buy a 4 input sound card.
So that begs the question; What's the point of the SPDIF out if you really can't use it record while monitoring at the same time?

DAFFYDRUNK said:
So that begs the question; What's the point of the SPDIF out if you really can't use it record while monitoring at the same time?

I dont really see the reltionship here. The SPDIF (I think) is to be used as a main mix out to a DAT or SPDIF soundcard.

What I was origianlly thinking was you could use the SPDIF to input to the SPDIF input on a sound card and skip another gain stage or whatever it's called for an even cleaner signal while recording. Then I read the SPDIF is the same signal as the main stereo out. This means you can't monitor your soundcard output through the mix bus while recording something through SPDIF. Kinda renders the SPDIF pointless unless you are using the M series to mix down to another digital recording device like dat ect. Just trying to understand the routing possibilities with this thing before I plunk down the big bucks (at least for me) :D

Yes the digital output is for a very limited application. I am looking at the M12 and can pretty much gauruntee that I would use the SPDIF very rarely. But the direct out for each channel makes a big sell for me. I'm not sure but if you did a mixdown from your recording software and mix back into your soundcard via SPDIF it "may" be better. If you can do without the SPDIF and direct outs, the E8 will probably work for you.

Yea. I was thinking the M8 was a no go till you guys told me it has direct outs. That's just what I needed since I wanna use the inserts for outboard compression. Kinda like to compress the bass and vocals a bit while doing em or I kinda hold back.. Need all the help I can get to record a decent performance. ;)
Since the direct in solves those probs, I think I'll just buy a better sound card that has more than 2 in/outs. Someting like the 1010lt looks intersting. And oh Man, that M8 would sure look sweet in my basement too! :cool:

Back