SoundClick Chart System.

gummblefish

Twitchy Wanker
Whats the deal with the charting system on soundclick? Is it based on amount of Hits per song or votes? Every song i have put up has gone a few places up from the last. Im guessing if i put another two up i will have a No 1 on there in my category. Is the Charting system a marketing tool to get people to pay for the premium services? I honestly cant see how in a category of 8000 or so i could have a track at no 13 let alone say 415. Ive seen tracks up there that are literally two bar's of loops and they come in pretty high. Whats the deal? :confused:

It's based on unique visitors & them playing the tracks. I have the VIP premium service on there, for a more "professional" look. I've hit the number 1 spot in various genre's on there before, and it was because of me going out and advertising. For me, it's more of a "drive", since there's no way in hell with the amount of advertising $$ I have, can get one track up the soundscan to compete with those people on the top 10 of the billboards. SO, I tend to keep on advertising, gaining more listeners, in turn, appear on the first page of that genre, or some where close to it.

Frankly, there is a LOT of artists on soundclick, BUT, you gotta basically cut some of those number's in half (those who are at the very bottom of the list on the charts that haven't been on there for years). There are a lot of artists who are active in the soundclick community, but there are also a lot of junk artists who haven't touched their account for a long while. Anyways...

The reason why those people stay on the top, is because of advertising tricks etc... And friend who come on there and play a track for them, and MOSTLY they go on other people's sound click sites, and post up on their message board something like "Hey nice track, why don't you come and play mine", and the fools go and play their track because they think they played theirs. The most hardest charts on there to get to the top is the hip hop general charts. Those are full of active users, who are in a constant battle of marketing to hit the top. WHICH is a good thing btw, getting your music heard and all. It's actually helpful to those who are willing to do what it takes to get their music heard.

Also...no matter how some people look at it, there is some truth in these charts, just like the billboard charts... back in the day, soundclick allowed just any amount of plays, and it hit number one, which means you could have 5 computers at your house, playing the same track over and over again, and hit number 1 easily. They then changed it to unique visitors, which means that the person listening is well, been to your site once that day and played a track (Even if they come 10 times and played the same track during the day), only 1 is really counted towards the charts etc. That's the number that you really should be looking at. The higher that number, the better your music is being heard... ALSO, being on the top 40 or so, there's ALOT more people that come in and listen... Look at yourself for example... They did all the marketing to enter the top 10 right??? And you wondering why they are in the top 10 etc, curious to what kind of music they have, come into their site, and play a track from them, yourself. That gives them more points on the charts. That means you listened to their music, that means they got heard. Keep at it, it's not a scam lol think of it as useful tools

Gumblefish...It doesn't mean shit. Before I had my own site, I hit No.1 a few times in main genres and MANY times in sub-genres without advertising, or buying "promo" from them, or even going to other people's sites and begging for listens. Many times it was just a matter of posting a tune here in the MP3 Clinic and getting alot of listens from people who liked whatever song I posted so much that they listened the next day and the day after that, etc...
It's meaningless, really.

RAMI said:
Gumblefish...It doesn't mean shit. Before I had my own site, I hit No.1 a few times in main genres and MANY times in sub-genres without advertising, or buying "promo" from them, or even going to other people's sites and begging for listens. Many times it was just a matter of posting a tune here in the MP3 Clinic and getting alot of listens from people who liked whatever song I posted so much that they listened the next day and the day after that, etc...
It's meaningless, really.

Yeah thats what i figured. I was just curious if anyone really knows whats going on with the Soundclick charts. I found it interesting that i got a song to no 13 and it stayed there for 3 days, yet i got 4 times more listens over those days and it didnt move any. Seems odd me thinks. So like i figure if i put another three songs on i will be no 1 in that genre. WOO HOO, Crack open the Jack Daniel's. Any excuse for a party these days.

gummblefish said:
So like i figure if i put another three songs on i will be no 1 in that genre. WOO HOO, Crack open the Jack Daniel's. Any excuse for a party these days.

Afraid it don't work that way either. You can only have one song in the charts in the same genre. You can have four songs in the same genre but only the highest song will show up in the charts.

The charts there don't mean squat. If you have a fan base to get to listen all the time or you're gaming the system, then you're going to be at #1. That's why I never pay attention to the charts anymore. Just a waste of time.

I got to 200 with a punky metal thing played really badly. No bass or vocals. Wasn't mixed at all. And I said it was for fans of Nickelback.

I had a number two hip hop song, I was getting 700-1500 plays a day. But was only getting a few hundred page hits.90% listened to one song and I only sold one. So i figured out people were playing it in the charts and on the soundclick player and not even going to the page. also if you vote not hot I think it cancels the play. I swear soundclick be beating us

HUSTLIN
Highest position in HipHop was 12
Highest position in subgenre Hardcore Rap was 2
page views - 13,415
song plays - 18,973

None of my other song has more then 800 plays.
hustlin

i really don't think soundclicks is going to be anyones "get rich playing music" tool.

but it sure is nice for easy access to indie groups.

ther isn't as much of a fuss goin on in soundclick as apposed to myspace.
less banner dodging and more listening.

Back