Soundcards & Volume Levels

tddrummer

I'm trying to develop a better understanding of soundcards. I am currently using just a simple dell computer and havn't upgraded the soundcard. If i do chose to I have some questions:

1) Will this enhance my recordings?
2) How much would this cost?(the computer is 05-06' w/ windows xp)
3)Is it difficult to install?

I've always noticed that my recording are BELOW the normal volume level I here on CDs and other recordings. My dad said that this was because of my soundcard...is this true. I record as hot as possible without clipping, the volume level SAYS that I usually track around 0db before clipping.

I guess what Im getting at is...if I upgrade my soundcard will this basically boost what my computer can handle before it clipps?

I'm trying to develop a better understanding of soundcards. I am currently using just a simple dell computer and havn't upgraded the soundcard. If i do chose to I have some questions:

1) Will this enhance my recordings?
It can, but there are many more variables involved. That don't make this a good "short answer" question.

The biggest difference it can make is if you're currently recording via microphone through the mic preamp in your soundcard. Computer mic preamps are crap (no mincing words there, eh? ;) ); they are designed for use with web cam mics and $20 headset mics, not for quality music recording mics. Upgrade to an interface with a somewhat halfway decent mic preamp in it - and an at least basic pro quality microphone - and you'll hear a difference almost for sure.

But "pro quality" or "CD quality" recording depend on a lot more than just that; don't expect to upgrade your interface and suddenly get pro quality sound. It takes some study and practice and building of technique *on your part* just as much as it does on the gear. You can do it, but don't necessarily expect it overnight just by upgrading your sound card.
2) How much would this cost?(the computer is 05-06' w/ windows xp)
How much you got? ;) Seriously, it can go anywhere from $99 on the low end to a couple of thousand dollars on the high end, depending on just how far you want to take it. The $99 option (something like an EMU 404, for example) can give you a noticeable increase in sound quality of the card and the line input itself, but will still be somewhat limiting in what it can handle well microphone-wise. From there you can jump up to the $150-$399 level and get something truly workable - and portable (see below). And it keeps going up from there.
3)Is it difficult to install?
Usually not that bad. The hardest part sometimes can be making sure you have the latest and greatest device driver for it (just like with any other Windows hardware :) ). Get one of the external portable boxes in the $150 and up range, and they'll connect right through your USB or Firewire port with (usually) fairly plug-and-play ease.
I've always noticed that my recording are BELOW the normal volume level I here on CDs and other recordings. My dad said that this was because of my soundcard...is this true. I record as hot as possible without clipping, the volume level SAYS that I usually track around 0db before clipping.
Now that is an entirely different can of worms altogether. With all due respect to dear ol' dad, this has almost nothing to do with the sound card quality. Most modern-day (since ~1990 or later) big-budget commercial recordings have succumbed to an awful fad which has infected the industry's artists and producers like a virus; this fad is to throw a bucket-load of extra processing at the recording in the pre-mastering stage (the part of post-production after the stereo mixdown has been made, but before the final master copy is printed). This extra processing in the form of converter clipping, compression or hard-limiting (or all three) is designed to make the recording sound as loud as possible, with very little concern for actual fidelity or sound quality.

I don't mean to sound condescending here, but you have a lot more immediate things to worry about and to learn before you should even begin to worry about that. If you're serious about this, get your recording chops down first, along with the upgrades of your recording gear. Then work on your mixing technique after that. Only after you get fairly OK at both of those should you even start to worry about pre-mastering techniques. And, if we're all lucky, the "loudness wars" (as they're called) will be a dying-to-dead fad by the time you're ready to tackle the pre-mastering.
I guess what Im getting at is...if I upgrade my soundcard will this basically boost what my computer can handle before it clipps?
Sorry, but...nope, it's not that easy. Not in the way you're thinking, anyway. It won't in and of itself be able to give you the volumes you're looking for. In fact, running as loud as possible before clipping can in fact be a detriment to your eventually reaching that goal. But that's a whole 'nother topic that needs learning first. Do some research on "gain staging" or "gain structure" to learn a bit more about optimum recording levels.

G.

After thinking about the whole deal. I thought MAYBE it would be better to use a Boss BR-600 Digital Recorder that i have to track everything, then import the file to my computer...until I investn a interface or soundcard.

Another thing about the whole soundcard delima...my computer makes noise when i dont even have anything plugged in for recording. I can turn the (soundacard?) down and the noise goes away.

Should I be doing this to eliminate the noise?

For an interface i was thinking about a http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

As to whether the Boss will be signifigantly better than your soundcard, that depends upon your soundcard. All I could recommend is to try it both ways (assuming you already have the Boss) and see what works best for you.

As far as the noise on your sound card, yeah, you could probably stand to turn down both the recording levels and the listening levels a few dB, especially if you have them both cranked wide open now. Also, a common rookie mistake is to understand the difference between the Line In and the Mic In on the soundcard. As mentioned earlier, the Mic In should only be used for computer voice-style microphones; for anything else it is going to be an extremely noisy channel. If you are running line in direct from an instrument or another piece of electronic gear (CD player, tuner, mixer, mic preamp, etc.), you should be using the Line In jack to bring the signal in. If you have a decent quality microphone you are recording wth, then you should use a seperate interface with a better preamp - such as that Lexicon - and skip the PC soundcard altogether.

That Lexicon is a fine unit for the price. I have heard some grumblings around the Internet about the quality control on those particular units, but I have no idea how much reliability to give those reports...you know how the Internet can get with that stuff, the "reports" can be just as unreliable as they claim the merchandise they are talking about is. I heard the same thing about the similar Tascam units, though my personal experience with the Tascam was stellar. I'd just say make sure you you buy it from a place with a quality return and exchange policy, just to cover your assets whatever you buy.

G.
G.

Upgrading the soundcard wont hurt anything. Most PCs come with Soundblaster (or less) soundcards which are fine for gamming and maybe for listening to mp3s. If you have a good mixer/preamp you can get by with a soundcard like this (always use the line in) since you will be relying on an external preamp rather than having to depend on the built in preamp of the soundcard. Of course this will limit you to being able to record only 2 tracks at a time. As to the loudness of your CDs you might try to "normalize" the file before you burn it to CD or do like the "production" guys and compress the hell out of the file (sorry, I didn't mean to get into the loudness war thingy.) Another option could be your burner, an external CD burner may yeild louder CDs than your stock burner.

Another thing about the whole soundcard delima...my computer makes noise when i dont even have anything plugged in for recording. I can turn the (soundacard?) down and the noise goes away.

Should I be doing this to eliminate the noise?

Please go back and read my post again --- your soundcard has about 50cents worth of chips.

OK, you import the sound from the Boss to the computer.... how are you going to make quality judgments and mix decisions playing your music through 50cents worth of chips????

You NEED a quality soundcard and a decent pair of monitors. Period.

Alright...new soundcard....so this can be substituted with an interface right, or not so much so? if not what would you prefer for my computer? Could I get a good one for $200, or should I invest in a more expensive one? and i'm working on the moniters (should get in the next weekor so). Thnks everyone for all the help putting up with a hardheaded teenager...and Glen you've gotta be the nicest guy on this forum.:)

Having ASIO drivers won't necessarily enhance the absolute sound quality that can be captured (though I can't think of a single example to the contrary)

However, the fact that everything works far better, with less latency, hassle, and limitations will certainly enhance the quality of your output.

So many times in this business, the ultimate sound quality has almost nothing to do with the theoretical specs of the equipment, but far far far more to do with the ease with which functions are implemented

Back