soundcard.

No money limits? Well, then we would stop calling it a 'soundcard', and move to high end converters and preamps. If you are asking what the highest priced lower budget interface is, then that is a totally different story. 'Soundcard' as you stated, makes the conversation unclear, and based on lower quality products. Make clear what it is you are asking about, and definitely throw down a 'money limit'. :)

okay well lets say this i'm getting about 20 to 30 thousand from a law suit from being hit by a drunk driver and I want to make a pretty dam good studio. suggestions??

Yeah, make damn sure you take the time to learn what it is you are buying, and know how to use the gear. Or pay someone who knows how.

I honestly mean no offense, but not having experience with recording (which seems obvious by your questions), makes it seem that it is going to be a big challenge/expense that you may not be ready for, nor have the skills to make it profitable. Recording is not made easy by having good gear. It takes much more than the equipment to achieve quality product. And 20-30 grand, is not near enough in gear, to bring in top level artists. About the right amount to be an established home studio, if you have what it takes to use it well.

Again, I am not saying you cant do it, but jumping into owning a studio, without first learning the 'ropes', just is not going to work out well.

You have not yet stated your experience, nor what it is you wish to accomplish with your studio. I am always here, willing to help in any way I can.

the only experience I have is recording my band's EP with a line 6 UX1 and M audio fast track. I'm currently finish up my friends album which an indie i'm learning editing as I go I'll be the mixing after I move and set up my speakers and desk for optimal accoustics. I'm wanting to do music, jingles, audio book any kind of audio. and i'm also look at doing field record for films interview etc. I live in utah and have sundance so i figured that is a great area to make money.

There are lots of good interfaces (sound cards) out there but which works for you will depend on your needs.

A few of the things to consider:

• How many simultaneous inputs do you need?
  • What mixture of microphone and line sources?
  • Do you need phantom power for condenser mics?
  • How will it connect to your computer? USB? Firewire? As an internal PCI card?
  • What are your monitoring needs?

Until you've worked out answers to the above (and probably some other things I've forgotten) any answer I could give would be pure guess work. There's a lot of difference between an interface that takes one mic at a time and one that can record a whole band!

As a starter, you can have a look at the interfaces offered by RME and MOTU. Both companies make top of the line gear that gets used in a lot of professional studios.

Or, you could consider going a totally different direction. Have a look at the Allen and Heath Zed R16 mixer. I usually don't suggest mixers but that one gives you 16 good quality inputs with a firewire connection to your computer.

Or, you could go the direction I did: a Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer with the right adaptor card to output digital to your computer--I use ADAT/Firewire but nowadays I'd buy an Audinate Dante card instead.

Anyhow, back to basics and decide what you need, then we can help you more!

Back