soundcard with at least 4 xlr inputs?

dietcookie

Whats a good interface/soundcard that has 4 xlr inputs or more. I probably won't be doing more than 4 mics at a time but more inputs would be nice. I was looking at the aardvark q10, ESI Wami Rack 192L, Echo Mona. Anything else? I'm trying not to spend over $500.

If your budget is $500, I recommend you get a small mixer (Mackie 1202 ~ $300 I think?) and a Delta 44. The Delta has 4 line inputs, but the mixer will give you 4 mic preamps. You also get a free mixer with it! (Useful for monitoring and stuff). I don't recommend getting a soundcard with built in pres because then you limited to using those pres. If you get a modular setup, you can upgrade to better pres in the future and your soundcard is still useful. If you go the Mackie/Delta route, your Mackie will still be useful even when you upgrade your pres. I use a Great River MP2 for pres, but I still do all my monitoring through the Mackie.

gordone said:
If your budget is $500, I recommend you get a small mixer (Mackie 1202 ~ $300 I think?) and a Delta 44. The Delta has 4 line inputs, but the mixer will give you 4 mic preamps. You also get a free mixer with it! (Useful for monitoring and stuff). I don't recommend getting a soundcard with built in pres because then you limited to using those pres. If you get a modular setup, you can upgrade to better pres in the future and your soundcard is still useful. If you go the Mackie/Delta route, your Mackie will still be useful even when you upgrade your pres. I use a Great River MP2 for pres, but I still do all my monitoring through the Mackie.

I could do that, like I said I probably wouldn't be using more than 4 mics at a time but I would still like the possibility of using more, thats why I was looking at options like the aardvark.

dietcookie said:
I could do that, like I said I probably wouldn't be using more than 4 mics at a time but I would still like the possibility of using more, thats why I was looking at options like the aardvark.

Are you talking about the Q10? I use one every now and then and it's sound pretty god to me.

You could go for the Q10's little brother the Direct Pro 24/96. It has four XLR inputs. I believe they use all the same things as the Q10 just has less inputs, etc.

Ardvark 24/96

I was looking at the Ardvark 24/96 too, but I noticed the headphone jack doesn't have a volume control knob. So how to monitor?

I'm thinking of getting the Mia Midi card combined with a mixer. I need it to be quiet though because I'm using primarily for vocals.

Joe

I use a pair of Q10 because I need 16 inputs. The cost of doing this in Grace or Great River is beyond my reach.

JoeLegato,

You control the headphone volume with the software mixer just like everything else. It sounds like it might be a pain but you get used to it. *shrugs*

If it means anything to you I got an awesome deal on a used 24/96 off Ebay... $250. You might be able to find one like that if you looked around.

Back