Soundcard Recommendations, Latency poll.

tcdave

Do you have any soundcard recommendations for Sonar 2XL ?

I have had the Soundblater Live (sold it), Soundblaster Live Platnum (sold it), then the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (sold it) and now I have the Tascam US-428 Control Surface Audio interface.

All of these did'nt cut it. My softsynths had bad latency when using all of these soundcards. (of course, the US-428 is USB and that latency was going to bad, but read on as I explain this)

Now, I am considering buying another soundcard to finally get it right. Cakewalk told me that the best thing to do is to buy the Echo MIA soundcard with Sonar and the US-428. Why? Because the drivers in the MIA soundcard allow the MIDI to be disabled and vice versa with the Tascan US-428. The sound in the US-428 can be disabled also. The results: a match made in heaven.

Just in case all you M-Audio fans start in about the 2496, Cakewalk told me that the 2496 is a very good card but it doesnt work well in older versions of Windows. I don't feel like upgrading to XP yet.

So, please post your :

Soundcard type : Operating System : Latency (in ms)

thanks,

tcdave

Audio Interface : Motu 2403 MKIII
Operating System : Windows 2000 Pro
Latency : 2ms
Software : Sonar 2.2XL

Never had any trouble with my MOTU and teh latency is negligible, if I step down my samples per buffer from 1024 -> 512 (or) 256, I can reduce my latency further but it slows down the performance, so I am satisfied with my current 2ms latency.

Audiophile 2496
XP
2.9 ms
I would reccomend the switch to XP,it was the best thing I ever did.I could take advantage of the DXI's and use the effects in real time via input monitoring.

Audio Interface : Echo MIA w/ MIDEX3
Operating System : Windows XP (optimised)
Latency : 2.9ms
Software : Sonar 2.2XL

Although Sonar will alow me to adjust the latency slider to 1.5ms, I operate at 2.9ms. No problems with soft synth or input monitoring.

My slider goes to 1.5 if I have my samples low enough, however there are pops and crackles.. hence the 2.9ms. I monitor through my sound card using ASIO Drivers, so I get almost 0ms monitoring.
:D

Porter

Porter said:
My slider goes to 1.5 if I have my samples low enough, however there are pops and crackles.. hence the 2.9ms. I monitor through my sound card using ASIO Drivers, so I get almost 0ms monitoring.
Direct Monitoring ("0" ms) has nothing to do with ASIO-drivers. The card only routes the input to the output... ;)

I guess it is the driver. When I set up my monitoring I'm using the 'ASIO Panel' under Sonar which is the same panel as if I go through my Control Panel. I didn't think you had the same monitoring/patching options when using the WDM drivers when using Sonar.

Porter

Porter said:
I guess it is the driver.
I think not...;)

There's no such thing as "0 ms latency" when the signal goes through the computers processor (and takes use of the drivers). The signals can be routed directly from input to output through the card with near zero latency.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't have that option with WDM-drivers. Because the "ASIO-pannel" button just open the Delta Control Panel (as you know) which should be accessable with WDM-drivers aswell...

Don't shoot me but

SB Audigy 2 Platinum EX
WinXP
Athlon 2100+ clocked to 2700+
Latency using the ASIO drives 2ms

I've recorded on 1.5 of the 3 stereo inputs monitoring all of them with at least a reverb effect and had no ill effects. That was a Vocal, Guitar Mic and Guitar DI. But only at 16bit and 48000hz (which is the only hz the asio drivers support apart from 96k)

moskus said:
Hey, another Audiotrak-user! How is that card working out for you?

Great, except that the preamps are complete and utter crap - but that's ok as I use a mixer to boost my signal to line level and avoid all that. It's a great card, especially for the price. But for some reason, I can never get it to display the ASIO control panel :/ Does your INCA88 call up the ASIO panel (when you use ASIO instead of EWDM I mean)?

wfaraoni said:
soundblaster audigy 1000 ms:D :D :D :D

Not sure whether you made a joke, but seriously:

Download the latest drivers. Much more stability and a staggering (LOL, for you guys it's hilarious but compared to 100ms it's great) 20ms latency...(using WDM, I haven't even tried the ASIO drivers yet)

Works perfectly with HS2004 (yep, almost all bugs I've reported - except the Dxi looping out of tune ditty - are fixed in the update...plus: a lot of SONAR-ish features have been added. I lost all my reasons to upgrade to SONAR...HA!)

I've got the AP2496, Sonar 2, and XP, and still can't get below about 40ms without the audio being mangled. I guess I'm missing something. It would be nice if someone could explain step by step, how to set up this combination properly.

Real nice.

Anybody?

moskus said:
Direct Monitoring ("0" ms) has nothing to do with ASIO-drivers. The card only routes the input to the output... ;)

how the fuck do you do direct monitoring in sonar? everytime i do input monitoring it runs it thru the s/w t hen to the outputs

anyway

OS- Win XP
Sound Card-Lynx Two
Latency- .7ms, but i put it at 5.3 cuz i haven't really heard any difference, and with .7ms the track count would prolly be more limited as well as sonar being less stable

Teacher said:
how the fuck do you do direct monitoring in sonar? everytime i do input monitoring it runs it thru the s/w t hen to the outputs

When you direct monitor you don't acutally use Sonar. You are basically routing the signal through the sound card. My card has a 'Monitor Mixer' in the driver, where I can adjust the levels of each input and listen to the output without the signal you are monitoring hitting the computer. Another copy of the signal hits the computer which is what you record... hope that makes sense.

Porter

Back