Soundcard recommendation: fairly simple requirements

rkmase

Currently, I'm using an X-fi platinum, which by all professional accounts, is crap. The one thing the x-fi does provide though, is all of my required inputs. I'm looking for a better quality PCI soundcard (maybe on the quality level of the m-audio delta 66) that has the following:

MIDI I/O
2 1/4 (balanced) inputs

And thats about it. Its just me, my guitar, casio, and mic.

Price range is under 300 dollars, running XP. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

You probably already have found your answer, but I would personally recommend one of the M-Audio solutions, like the Delta 1010LT. it's fairly cheap, seems to be very good, especially at the price point of around $200, and you will have no problems using your audio and MIDI together in ASIO mode. You can chain four delta series devices in ASIO mode, and have full use of all of them, because they all run under one driver. Most cards nowadays should have ASIO support, but have varying sound qualities, and with the Delta, you can always buy more devices (for additional inputs) as you need, or your budget allows. My first Delta was the Delta 44, but it has no MIDI input, so I could not use my Delta 44, and MIDI at the same time in ASIO mode. The advantage of the 1010LT is that everything is on the card, no breakout box to deal with. You can also look into the Audiophile cards, as I believe they have 1/4" inputs as well and are less expensive, but you can't chain multiple audiophiles under one driver, to my knowledge.

Back