Soundcard does not play back in stereo

Cyrokk

Farce of Nature
I have a VIA AC97 onboard an ASUS A7V8X mobo. I hooked up the line out to my stereo and noticed that only the right side is playing through the speakers. I am using the correct audio cable (three ring tip), and just to be sure I plugged my headphones into the line-out and got the same result.

I have windows XP home. I went into control panel/sound and played with the left and right volume settings with no success: still no sound coming from the left side.

I also tried two different sources: played from a cd and played through the software, still no success.

I'm pretty sure that the soundcard is supposed to be in stereo, at least that's what I inferred from people here who have recorded with this thing.

Suggestions?

I run a mini to rca y-cable from the line out to the ins on my receiver.

I also tried hooking up the pc speakers to the line out. Although I got sound from both speakers, it was only the right side that came through. In other words, if I went into the mixer settings and moved the faders all the way to the left, there would be no sound.

Cy

Ooohhhh.
Sounds like an F'd up onboard sound chip or box or whatever the hell those things are.
Im assuming you only use it for PC audio and not for recording right ?

Although I am not using it for any serious work, I do want to use it as a quick and dirty solution for songwriting and such until I can afford a better card down the road (like the aardvark 2496)..

Man.. I was afraid it would be a hardware problem.. this sucks..

Thanks anyway.

Cy

Back