Soundblaster X-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my own experience of the Soundblasters, they're at their best when recording at the maximum quality possible.

They sound good enough for gaming and watching movies but they're not really pro' material. SBs don't tend to have a flat line on the frequency graphs.

I take it you're quite new, angling to mix direct to stereo, possibly in a performance environment. If so, keep the SB for now.

You couldn't go too wrong using a set of Shure SM58s for the vocals, similar to close-mike the amps and a decent set of inexpensive drum mikes to rig up the 'skins'. One behind the kickdrum, one on the snare, one between the small toms and one over the floor tom. (check out various internet shops or Ebay to kick off)

Try using a Soundcraft M8 mixer. It's quite cheap, very clear and open in sound and has 8 mike ins for you. Plenty enough. Just ensure that the recording gear is of course far enough away from the performers to get a good practice mix on the rehearsal.

You could get yourself a couple of M-Audio Delta 66 units, giving you 8 analogue ins, 8 analogue outs and 4 digital ins and outs. Inexpensive and lovely. (I would say buy a Delta 1010 for almost the same, but it seems the PSUs are cheap and nasty).

Then you can go from each direct out of the M8 and record each mike individually. Then, in the comfort of your own room, you can edit, compress, etc, each multitrack later for a much neater, nicer mix at the end.

The bigger issue with SB are the drivers and the extra bloatware it installs. They are also overpriced for what they actually do.

Honestly, you'll get a lot better sound and well written drivers for less money with something like M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 ($99) or the Audiophile 192 ($149)

Repeat what Tim said.
I used a soundblaster UNTIL I could afford a real recording card. It's converters are poor and it pumps things up for GAME experience.
It'll do until you can upgrade BUT, you may find, like I did, that I wished I could re record the sessions I did on SB with a newer dedicated card.
Ebay is a fertile hunting ground for 2nd hand good cards - an INCA 8 in 8 out card with breakout box sold for just AUS$105 3 weeks ago - not the greatest card but light years ahead of the SB.

TimOBrien said:
Repeat to yourself 1000 times: "Creative = gamer, Creative = gamer, Creative = gamer...."
Doesn't Creative Labs OWN EMU.

Are EMU products cr@p ?
1616 - 0808 - 0404 - 0202
I haven't heard anyone hype EMU on this sight, to my knowledge

johnnymegabyte said:

Are EMU products cr@p ?

EMU products aren't crap. I have the EMU1212M and it sounds just as good to my ears as the M-Audio 24/96.

It's the fact that SoundBlasters were not meant for recording. And there is a pretty noticeable difference between a SoundBlaster and a recording card like the 24/96.

SoundBlasters are at least a huge step up from most onboard sound cards. I wouldn't even bother recording with those. I've tried and it sounds everything going through a fuzz pedal.

Yeah, a bunch of us did, we just don't all like to repeat things ad nauseum :)

The Emu cards sound good to my ears. I have a 1820M that I used for a while. I now use a firewire 24 track solution that precludes me from using it anymore :( or I'd still be using it.

Soundblasters are NOT Emu cards and vice-versa.

johnnymegabyte said:

Are EMU products cr@p ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a different soundcard.
MickB, when you mentioned that the Delta 1010 had a bad PSU, were u talking about both the rack mounted one(1010) or the 1010LT?

ledzeppelin8852 said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a different soundcard.

IMO- ditch the soundcard, go USB or Firewire connector.
I recently bought this one-
http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-101/index.html
Prior, I used a Tascam-122 (OK for laptop use, not enough I/Os),
Rol. UA-100 (16 bit).

(Near) Zero latency, direct monitoring, the number of ins/outs (10)
alone makes it worth the price.

Using a gamer soundcard for pro audio, is like using consumer
stereo speakers for monitors.

Kirk/FKA1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back