**Sound Quality**

I have a problem!

Afetr I record and mix down everything I feel happy with the sound, it all sounds good, then after I burn the songs to a CD and pop it in the CD player YUCK! What happens here? How is it that it can sound good on my computer but on a CD its just not right?

I took advice from some of you who listend to the MP3's I posted here last week, I doubled a few trcks and did some panning and it really made a difference! The sound was MUCHO BIGGER and better, I was really happy with the difference but, on the CD it doesnt sound right to me.

It seems the low end is just too much and it just aint warm with the mids and highs on the CD anyway, but it sounds good on the computer.

My sound card is stock off the shelf from Best Buy, it came in the computer, half duplex 16 bit blah blah. I use cakewalk pro audio9, I got a pioneer home stereo system hooked up to my computer, Just to give you an idea of what I'm playing with here cause I'm really hoping to get this right! And I know my set up is ghetto lol.

Is it the sound card thats making this ballance thing vertually impossible? If it is the sound card what is the best affordable one for me to go with? SB Live 24 bit? Would that make this sound closer to the CD player? Your comments are very apreciated! Thanks!

P.S. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 8-x

a good mixing environment involves sooooo many variables!

you could probably start with getting a better soundcard and some monitors i think. at least start with the monitors. i seriously doubt your home stereo is giving you an accurate picture of what's coming out of your sound card. do you have the treb and bass controls on your stereo flat when you listen? have you turned off any 'bass boost' that your stereo has?

so do you have a link to the song?

i have to agree with eric get some good monitors. Or you could try to listen to whats wrong in the cd and try to compensate for that in the mix before you burn it to cd. It might sound like crap before you burn but you might be able to get a good version out of your exhisting gear.

DS-- there could be a lot of things going on here; my guess is that you're hearing the mix thru both 1) different speakers and 2) in a different room. To get a more accurate sense of what's actually in your mix, you'd need to hear it in a good sounding room with a decent set of monitors...

What's a good sounding room? How do you get one? Check the "Studio Building" forum... they'll help ya get your room set up there... Monitors? Check the equipment forums...

In the mean time, realize that your mix is going to sound different on different systems and esp. in different rooms... burning your mixes to CD and then listening to them in different places will actually help your mixing ability, and you've already started that. Just make sure to notice how it sounds in each place (car, kitchen, bedroom, friend's CD player, etc...) and take mental notes of the details... "bass sounds too low in the car... cymbals sound muffled on computer speakers..." THEN, try to strike a balance by adjusting the mix just enough so that it sounds decent in each listening space...

HTH

Chad

Shit man, I like that guitar work.

Anyway, I've downloaded both and am listening to Rage And Aggression right now.
Seems to sound ok to me.
There seems to be some effects on your vocals.
Sounds good to me.
What speed do you burn at?
Did you defrag before you burnt?

That's all I can think of if the disk sounds bad.

I downloaded Darkside but it wouldn' t load and play.
No idea why.

Like the first song though.

Good luck.

Rage sounds pretty good considering your setup. There didn't seem to be too much low end to me. A better soundcard, monitors, preamps and mics can all make a difference. Start with the soundcard and monitors. Dont get a soundblaster. The Maudio cards are good budget cards.

badgas said:
I downloaded Darkside but it wouldn' t load and play.
No idea why.

Like the first song though.

Good luck.

Yea I dont know whats up with Dark Side? I just tried the Nowhere radio thing and uploaded a few, maybe I did something wrong?

The other one works though so I dont know? It is weird! I tried to stream it and it just sounded like water running, like a digital toilet flushing :eek: lol. Thats not good... haa

Sorry bout that, I'll try to figure out what the problem is on that, until then I got the other version at:

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/DevilizhStylez/
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/DevilizhStylez/
http://www.nowhereradio.com/devilizhstylez/singles
http://www.nowhereradio.com/devilizhstylez/singles

?Update: The reason my Mp3 wouldnt play was because instead of it being 128 kbps 44kHz, it said VBR, 0kHz. It was funny cause I tried to upload it to IUMA and when I played it back it was SOO SLOW! lol I might upload it again there cause it was kinda cool to hear it like that. But anyway the Mp3's are working now.

P.S. How you people get your personal pics under your names like that?

Last edited:
Back