sound quality in adapters

scapegoat

I just wanted to know if you think or know for a fact that a 1/4" to a XLR adapter would lower ANY sound quality at ALL during recording?

See, because I'm looking at some soundcards and the lynxONE offers ONLY XLR inputs and outputs oppose to the 1/4" or RCA inputs and outputs. Pretty weird, so I would have to use some adapters. Thanks.

Not so weird really considering that much of the professional equipment uses XLR I/O.

Technically speaking, an adaptor will degrade sound quality. I doubt that you will hear it though. But do yourself a favor and don't buy a CABLE that does this conversion. The cable supplied by Lynx is very high quality, in fact used on the Space Shuttles for all communications and stuff, so you will be hard pressed to buy cable that is any better sounding. Hosa and that kind of junk WILL degrade your signal path. So, just buy an inline adaptor to convert as they have an extremely short (about 4") cable in them.

Oh, if you are that concerned you can either make your own 25 pin to XLR Breakout cable, or just replace the XLR's with TRS 1/4" connectors. Page 31 in the users manual has the pin configuration for doing your own cable.
Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 05-02-2000).]

Thanks for the reply! No I wasn't planning to use any Hosa cables cause I know how cheep they are, but I was considering adapters. But if I could just replace the XLRs with TRS 1/4" connectors then that'll be great. Wow, I didn't know the cables on lynxONE are the same types used with the space program. The whole XLR was weird for me because most of the soundcards in it's price range mostly use 1/4" or RCAs. Adding to the fact that I am not a pro audio engineer, I would not know too much about pro equipment. Just keyboards, samplers, drum machines and etc. Therefore the whole XLRs thing was and is new to me. Thanks for helping me out!

Back