Sound on Tascam DP 008 ex

srschalekamp

Hello,
I have two problems with recording with the Tascam DP 008 ex. (it is an 8 track recorder)
The first problem is that when I master and export a song to my laptop, the volume is very low, even when I have all the volumes at maximum. Is there a way to solve this?

The second problem is that I cannot play loud at all because of distorted sound. Yesterday, I recorded guitar and voice, and the recorder did not say either of them was too loud. However, when I listened to it, I could see that the L and R output was too loud and I heard a lot of noise. Can I solve this?

Are these just two things that occur when using the DP 008 ex, or am I doing something wrong? Would it be better to use my laptop for recording, with a program like Audacity?

I hope this is understandable, English is not my first language and my knowledge about all the recording tools is not very big as well (it is a little confusing to me, there is too much haha)

Thank you very much :)

Hello,
I have two problems with recording with the Tascam DP 008 ex. (it is an 8 track recorder)
The first problem is that when I master and export a song to my laptop, the volume is very low, even when I have all the volumes at maximum. Is there a way to solve this?

The second problem is that I cannot play loud at all because of distorted sound. Yesterday, I recorded guitar and voice, and the recorder did not say either of them was too loud. However, when I listened to it, I could see that the L and R output was too loud and I heard a lot of noise. Can I solve this?

Are these just two things that occur when using the DP 008 ex, or am I doing something wrong? Would it be better to use my laptop for recording, with a program like Audacity?

I hope this is understandable, English is not my first language and my knowledge about all the recording tools is not very big as well (it is a little confusing to me, there is too much haha)

Thank you very much :)
I have had the same problem with volume dropping on export. Have you solved it?

Fraell,

First of all, welcome.
I doubt you'll get a response from the OP, since he only stopped by one time in 2016. However maybe we can help.

I don't have a DP008ex, so I can't tell you the how to do the export, but I have a couple of questions. 1) how are high you setting the master volume when you do the mixdown? The meters don't have much information regarding the actual level, but you should be setting it so that it peaks just below the top. That will require proper setting of both the output volumes and the master volume.

2) If you move the track to a computer, what does the volume level look like? If it very low, there's an easy solution. Load the file into Audacity, and you can use the Amplify function to increase the volume. By default, that function will look at your file and set the increase to make the highest peak at 0dB, I would adjust that so the highest peak is -1dB.

If your apparent volume still feels too low, then you probably need to either use compression or apply a limiter, depending on what the overall levels look like. If the highest peak is due to just a few points, like a snare hit or a kick, then putting limiter on the track will allow you raise the overall level without peaking over 0dB. Using compression will raise the lower level areas relative to the higher levels so that the average level will rise without overloading. You can try both methods and see which sounds better to you.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Did you follow the suggestions in the message above? It's impossible to know if you are doing something wrong or if there is a problem with your unit without more information.

Back