Sound like a amateur

Boaz_W

Hey there,

I am trying to learn how to produce some music with the DAW FL studio (Producer Edition) . I started in October and now I am trying to learn the whole music theory and plugins with YouTube. But one of the problems that I am facing right now is that I don't know what to search for. I can make some beats and chords. Sometimes the melodies are very easy but most of the time I am also struggling with that. Besides all of this I just want to know the basics how I can make my tracks sound more professional. The music that I want to produce is EDM and Trance. Sort of the Armin van Buuren and the Avicii style. So my question is, did somebody had this period where I am in right now too? If yes, what did you did to get further with your progression and producing skills?

Hum, kind of hard to say. Yo really are trying to run when you can't even walk. There are a couple of different ways to approach this.

If EDM, I would say start with just EQ and maybe compression. Then learn about frequencies and how each of them behave.

I like this one, but there are others:

1712695079287.jpeg
Go grab some stems, figure out what each stem's frequency is doing and then determine what it is you want them to do collectively. From there, learn how to cut, pan and create a mix.

I think once you have that going, then you are ready for going deeper. But you will have to follow your ears. When you have something you like, post it in MP3 clinic and we can assist.

Also, find a good reference track so that you can compare the sound you want to make to something someone else made.

Other will provide you much better guidance, but to me, you start with understanding sound and then build from there.

Hum, kind of hard to say. Yo really are trying to run when you can't even walk. There are a couple of different ways to approach this.

If EDM, I would say start with just EQ and maybe compression. Then learn about frequencies and how each of them behave.

I like this one, but there are others:

View attachment 137677
Go grab some stems, figure out what each stem's frequency is doing and then determine what it is you want them to do collectively. From there, learn how to cut, pan and create a mix.

I think once you have that going, then you are ready for going deeper. But you will have to follow your ears. When you have something you like, post it in MP3 clinic and we can assist.

Also, find a good reference track so that you can compare the sound you want to make to something someone else made.

Other will provide you much better guidance, but to me, you start with understanding sound and then build from there.

Boaz_W

New member​

Thanks man, this was very helpful. If I have one of the first mixes ready, I will send it.

One thing to note, Look at your kick frequency (~90 HZ) and then notch out your bass frequencies so that your kick can punch through. Not very wide on the bass. You should be able to hear it with the naked ear, just enough so that kick can have space. I think for EDM it will help a lot.

To address the other parts of your post, how is the music theory coming along? My opinion is that I prefer structure in learning. As to what to search for, how about Music Theory?

You could go through the Yale playlist. It's a bit dry for my liking but doesn't lack in information. Not exactly a quick course.

In a hurry, Guy Michelmore has got you covered. I like the way he explains concepts so much that I took his $50 theory course. Worth a follow even if what he does isn't specific to your genre. Lots of really useful composition tips throughout his videos.

Guy Michelmore is totally mad, excentric and a joy to watch. You can learn so much just seeing how he works at crazy speeds and I have bought lots of stuff on his recommendations and none have been naff. His music skills are amazing. Plus, as I'm old, his dad was one of the BBC heavyweights in the 'good old days'.

To address the other parts of your post, how is the music theory coming along? My opinion is that I prefer structure in learning. As to what to search for, how about Music Theory?

You could go through the Yale playlist. It's a bit dry for my liking but doesn't lack in information. Not exactly a quick course.

In a hurry, Guy Michelmore has got you covered. I like the way he explains concepts so much that I took his $50 theory course. Worth a follow even if what he does isn't specific to your genre. Lots of really useful composition tips throughout his videos.

Thanks a lot! I will watch the videos:)

Back