sound impossible

Correct me if I am wrong. A vinyl LP gets read by 2 axis. How deep the groove is and how wide it is. Yes??
And in those 2 simple crude measurements there is enough wave info to emulate an entire band with many instruments.
So 2 magnetic waves get made by the transducer and in the 2 of those waves there is enough wave form/info to push and pull a diaphragm precisely so to make incredibly complex sound waves audible to our ears.Has anyone who studies audio and sounds come up with a theory that says that is totally ridiculous and it could never work that way...? not that there isnt something amazing
going on....but that it is something totally different than that explanation...

Has anyone who studies audio and sounds come up with a theory that says that is totally ridiculous and it could never work that way...?

I would say not.

I would say that anyone who studies audio and sound would understand how the electro-mechanical reproduction of sound is comprehensively explained by our current knowledge of electronics, physics and mechanics. No further explanation is required.

I would also say that it would only be people who have little or no knowledge of the subject who would seek some other explanation.

I think it was Arthur C Clarke who suggested that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. The initial suggestion by OP may be just a variation of this?

Oh, and don't forget. The 'tech' evident in the working of the stylus in the LP groove, and the loud speaker, is very close to the 'tech' heppening in the human ear when it converts sound waves into the nerve impulses that travel to the brain. I assume the development of the former two was based on understanding of the latter?

Geoff

Last edited:
I think it was Arthur C Clarke who suggested that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. The initial suggestion by OP may be just a variation of this?

The OP's suggestion may indeed be a variation of this.

The clue, though, is the phrase 'sufficiently advanced', which if it has to be compared to magic, has to be comparable to 'beyond our understanding'. The science of sound has been well understood for some considerable time now.

However, even if it wasn't well understood and was 'indistinguishable from magic', that doesn't mean that it is actually magic. Nor does it give us an excuse to presume some other agency other than that which can be found in the natural world

Back