Sound Engineering

just too amend for your consideration though... Penn State is considered one of the top engineering schools in the Nation and it's pretty competiative. BUT the engineering program is 5 years, you need at least a 3.0 in your first two years to be considered for entrance into the program, that and you need (no joke) 6 levels of Calc... so if that's for you more power to you.

I found this OIART institute up in Canada... and also som sae college in three places around USA.... one year training program... not bad at all...

nicolaad30 said:
I found this OIART institute up in Canada... and also som sae college in three places around USA.... one year training program... not bad at all...

Yup...i might go to OIART in couple of years.

DigitMus said:
I would try McGill in Tennessee - I know George Massenburg is/was teaching there, and it doesn't get better than George when it comes to audio engineering.

Speaking of TN, I think I remember Vanderbilt having a good program as well, but I could be remembering wrong.

yeah...... to be honest, if you wanna do a 5 year university track in something related to audio and engineering, try electrical engineering. sound and audio production has a lot to do with WHO you know, and work you've done in the past.

From what little I know, if you're going into the recording field, you're going to want a broader education (as some of the previous posters have said). At the school I attend, I guess most of the graduates end up involved in sound design and stuff for games.

I went to an audio engineering school, and I loved it. The school taught the concepts of engineering along with a lot of the stuff that is hard to learn on your own, such as the characteristics of a waveform, the Fletchr-Munson equal loudness curve, and concepts of wave propagation. The best thing was that they set you up with a 2 month internship anywhere you want to go in the U.S. That gives you the proverbial foot in the door, and allows you to start networking and building contacts. Within a year of graduating I was working with some big names in the industry. I think school was definitely worth it. PM me if you have any more questions specifically about the school I attended.

eraos said:
From what little I know, if you're going into the recording field, you're going to want a broader education (as some of the previous posters have said). At the school I attend, I guess most of the graduates end up involved in sound design and stuff for games.
Post production is also big at our school. We do have a masters program here. Not too sure what that's all about, though.

In the last semester at my school, you do an internship somewhere in the US. This may or may not give you a job after graduation, but like lucky said, it throws you head first into the field.

nicolaad30 said:
I did not find a better place to post this concern...

So, I'm looking towards making some serious studies in Sound Engineering, I mean, the 5 year career at University. The main point is that I do not know a good University un the USA that could offer this sort of degree. It must be named among the others engineerings (like mechanics, civil, electric...), not a 3 year course... you know what I mean...

Well, I thank you very much beforehand.... if you could help me with this... :)
try looking at a place called Full Sail own in Orlando, FL.

You could go for Recording Arts.

thats where i plan on going.

it only takes a year to complete but you take it year round and from 9-5 every weekday.

its honestly the best program ive seen

surfmaster said:
i bet with an audio engineering technology major and a computer science minor ... recording software development

If you want to be a software enginneer, you're going to need a degree in CS. A minor won't cut it. Go look at the job listings at digidesign if you don't believe me.

Also, I hope you like math.

like math, and love programming....seriously, you ever programmed? ha. it's not at all that similar to recording, haha.

Back