Sound Engineer, Please

BobHaymond

I have beefed up my PC and installed a delta 1010 to augment a SB Live; I am now into how to get audio in with the MIDI. As I will need four inputs, I have been tending toward a Mackie 1202. I read your very interesting post on DaviSound and it appears that I might do better with them instead. I would like to do this part well and only once. Fortunately, within these ranges, I can afford any of the options. I found their web page and price list rather difficult to decipher; it would be most usful if you could state which of their "devices" are mic preamps[pardon the obvious ignorance]. What it loked like to me was a pair of TB-1's or a TB-6. Comments? Other options?

I live in Clemson, SC so I can chunck a rock to Newberry! A custom shop would be an advantage.

Thanx for your kind help. Bob Haymond

Nope.

You are not going to get audio in via midi, nor via a Mackie board. There is, however, a new burger at McDonalds.

Clarifacation

I meant ADD audio components to MIDI components. AND it's my understanding that a Mackie has mic preamps which is what I thought might get audio into my PC. I'm new and have had many thoughtful and helpful replies and for which I'm grateful. Yours was neither and I'm not. BH

Really?

What's the name of the new burger?

I think BH was talking about tracking audio into his DAW and mixing them with his MIDI tracks, if I understood him correctly.

Anyhow, you are correct about the TB-1 and TB-6 being the preamps. But also remember there's a pair of pres (the same pres in the TB-6) in the TB-3 compressor. You can read the description of each Tool Box (that's what the "TB" stands for) from the TB-1 to the TB-10; starting from "OUR TOOL BOXES ARE AS FOLLOWS ...." in large red captial letters at: http://members.aol.com/lhd521/myhomepage/collection.html I'm telling you, if you read it ALL in the order it comes, you won't miss it. And if you're really that interested, you'll more than likely get know the site very well and easily be able to find what you looking for.

The preamp I own is the TB-1. It's a stereo tube pre and VERY much of the colored type with its dual triode 12AX7 (1 triode per channel) and "discreet, Class A single-ended power output line driver stage!" You can VERY MUCH here the Class A in it!

I also own a TB-3 (or the TB-2 if I switch tube out of the signal path) tube compressor which has the same "Mic All" pres in it as the TB-6 does. This is such a diverse unit, I can EASILY use it on EVERY track even when doing lots of overdubs of the same vocalist and just one little turn of a knob or flick of a switch, and I can easily distinguish between tracks.

The TB-6 is a 4 channel pre (the pres alone are called "Mic All" pres) of the clean, accurate, transparent type. Simple as that; I wish it were that simple, but you can read all about that on their site. I guess you can say the "Mic All" pre has EVERYTHING in it that DaviSound stands for!

Lastly, I know I've mentioned this many times before, but just for clarification reasons (as I guess the site is just too comfusing), I'll mention again. I am having a custom 24 channel (48 at mix) console made by them. I chose the "Mic All" pres and the TB-4 eq to be in each channel. THAT's how much I like DaviSound... For their product to be the"brain" of my studio!

But remember this is ALL simply MY opinion... Take it with whatever you or anyone else sees fit! I encourage ANY to take the risk... What all can happen? You not like it and decide to sell it on E-Bay and probably make quite a profit from it? Though I'm pretty damn sure DaviSound take it back if you REALLY didn't want it 6 months to a year down the road!

Weston Ray aka Recording Engineer

Weston: Thanks VERY much. Yes, I have lots of study to do! Your earlier post told me more than I had learned in a week. A major query of which was does one do better with a PreSonus than a Mackie. I don't wish to go $3000 but between $500 and $$1500 I'd like to do well. I will study their web page and your reply -- then I'll drive over there to see if those ol' boys will let me buy them a beer! We have a farm down in Greenwood County which is 30 miles from their shop. If they'll be the brains for my effort they won't find it as requiring as for yours but I'll be able to bribe them with some great smoked meat.

Out here in the country one could not possibly get started without thes forums. Thanks again. BH

Well say hello to Hayne and anyone else you meet for me! And dry some of that smoked meat and send it my way... I LOVE jerky! Funny as I'm much of a meat eater though...

Back