Sound Designers

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hey,

Just wondering if there were any sound designers out there? Currently at University studying it and would be great if i could have a chat with someone whos got some experience.

Look forward to hearing from some peeps,

Take care all,

Peace

Fast reply, i like it :D

What software do you use? Im being introduced to a software programme called Pyramix which is supposedly an amazing package for sound designers for films and soon it will be used everywhere..

yeah, Pyramix has been around for little while now. I've never used it though...but heard good things. It looks interesting.

I do all my work in Pro Tools. I can't really design the effects by building sine waves on top of eachother like some of the other programs do...but I have a library of sounds to start with and I build around those. You can come up with some interesting stuff just by combining everyday objects. It's all about tricking the ear into believing what they see no screen is supposed to sound like that. It's easier with animated works because anything can sound like anything. There's no boundaries.

Yeah so i believe, Well ive been working with Pyramix for around 2-3 months max now. I dont think ive used it enough to understand what everyone loves about it so much.

Have you done any sound design for films? Just wondering what way it progresses.. i mean, do the sound designers add the music that the musicians wrote, or do the sound designers pass it over to the music guys? Do you record the dialogue first then the foley or the foley etc.

Tifstorey said:
Yeah so i believe, Well ive been working with Pyramix for around 2-3 months max now. I dont think ive used it enough to understand what everyone loves about it so much.

Have you done any sound design for films? Just wondering what way it progresses.. i mean, do the sound designers add the music that the musicians wrote, or do the sound designers pass it over to the music guys? Do you record the dialogue first then the foley or the foley etc.

no, i haven't had the opportunity to do film design yet. There's a couple documentaries and short movies that I'll probably be editing soon...but most of my work is broadcast and corporate video work.
Film design is pretty much a whole different ball game, as there are so many people involved in the process, and I'm sure it's bounced around between all of them. This is my understanding of how the process works....Usually dialog is recorded during filming. The ADR people are in charge of rerecording it in case it was recorded bad (which is probably like 70-80% of the time). The foley people will add their stuff and then you have the SFX designers/mixers who will add all the extra sound effects. Then everything is put all together and mixed on a dubbing stage to picture. It's a big big process that they go through to make everything sound realistic.

I see, I've just finished a small 3 minute intro to a film in which i basically had to add foley, effects and dialogue. I also worked with a group who added music to the video too. I didn't really know whether or not they add it to mine or i add it to theirs.. In the end they ended up passing it onto me and i mastered it on Pyramix.

I'm really enjoying it, but theres just little glitches in Pyramix which im not a huge fan of. I'm sure i will get used to it, but at the moment im having to learn a programme that i wouldnt be able to purchase when i finish Uni because of the price of it. (It uses its own audio card and system which costs around £5000+).

How did you get into sound designing if you dont mind me asking? I keep getting told how the business is a cut throat business and its so hard to get in there, if you do manage to get in there, most people get thrown out straight away.. Whether or not theyre telling us that its harder than it is so we dont expect an easy life, i dont know, but i would be interested to find out what to do when ive finished my course.

Thanks for your replies by the way,

Tifstorey said:
How did you get into sound designing if you dont mind me asking? I keep getting told how the business is a cut throat business and its so hard to get in there, if you do manage to get in there, most people get thrown out straight away.. Whether or not theyre telling us that its harder than it is so we dont expect an easy life, i dont know, but i would be interested to find out what to do when ive finished my course.

Thanks for your replies by the way,

I kind of just fell into it. I've always been interested in audio recording in general. My first love is music, but the demand for post engineers far out weighs the demand for music engineers. When there may be 3 or 4 engineers on a music gig, there are tons more on a post one. Post production pays the bills and lets me do something I like.
I would love to do films too, but realistically it's harder to get into it than it sounds. Unless of course I just dropped everything and moved to Hollywood or something and went around banging on doors. So I'm stuck doing corporate and broadcast work for now :) ....more projects to work on.

Back