Sound Cards....What kind?

kile

Hey, I was just wondering what kind of sounds cards you guys use? The one you PC came with or what??? thank u - kyle

It REALLY depends on what you want, but for 300 dollars, you can get the midiman delta 66, 4 line level ins/outs, and digital I/O...
I've been doing the research, and this seems like the best deal for me.

if you don't need digital I/O, the delta 44 is about 30 bucks cheaper, and has the 4 ins and outs

and if 300 bones is too much, soundblaster platinum is reputed to be a decent card...

it really all depends on what you're doing, and what equip you've already got.. check around some of the previous threads, and you'll find plenty of info.

stranger233

I forgot to add, that im also looking for one without 1/8" Input/Output. I've heard that when you take a 1/4" plug and adapt it to a 1/8" you lose alot of the quality. thanks again

Most (all?) Pro/Prosumer soundcards have 1/4" or even XLR I/O. However, I don't see how a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter could make you loose a significant ammount of quality. Unless you're using really crummy old ones with lots of oxide and stuff. I think it's more an issue of the quality of the preamps that uses 1/8" connectors.

First of all, decide how many I/O you need and what types and also if you will be running a lot of Midi. Then decide on the quality you want. 24bit/96kHz or "only" 16/44.1 and also how much you are willing to spend. Finally check for compatibility. Make sure that the card has working drivers for your OS and not just betas that "will be finished soon...".

It's a real jungle but reading the eleven million posts in the soundcard forum helps a lot.

Good luck

/Ola

Right now I'm using a SIIG 128PCI crap-ass card that I got cheap for around $30.
Hopefully will be upgrading to a LynxOne this summer as soon as I find around $500 that's not earmarked for groceries :)
LynxOne is not a multi-input card, but a hi quality 2 channel card that offers some great features and specs. Connectivity is the main selling point for me as I really want true AES/EBU connections.

Back