Sound card upgrade concerns

Bassman

Hey,

I am consdiering upgrading from my SB Live to a Layla or Delta. My one concern is using BOTH cards simutaniously while using Cakewalk. I depend greatly on my sounfonts, they are the backbone of my drum sounds, and I cant live without them. I was also wondering about the routing. Will I have to externally patch the Outs of the SB to the Ins of the new card to get from Midi to Audio?(currently I set the mixer to"what you hear") Or can this routing be done internally. Is there one high end card that works better in this arraingement than the other?..

System Specs.

Win98 SE
P2400
256M Ram
30Gig 7200 Eide 66

Thanks in advance

Using both cards "simultaneously" with Cakewalk? I believe Cakewalk asks you to choose a soundcard and only allows 1 at a time. I use Cakewalk and recently installed a Gina card. It was very simple to enable the Gina card in Cakewalk, and I still use the OE soundcard with the CD player - so far flawlessly.

I dont know how to use both cards either. I dont
think you can with cakewalk. I have soundblaster
and Darla24, I only use the Darla24. Good
Luck, I would like to know as well. David

Sure you can! chesterfield and DavidK are off base. I use an SB Live and a Delta 66, at the same time, all the time. At times the SB is playing MIDI files with Sound Fonts while the Delta 66 is playing all the audio stuff. Works just fine. I also have a third piece of hardware, a USB MIDI interface, and this is receiving MIDI messahes from my Fatar controller keyboard and sending messages to some effects boxes I have. Everything works fine.

Be aware, though, that it's not neccesarily as easy as just popping in the new sound card and loading its drivers... you might have to do some PCI slot swapping to get everything to work properly together. I also set up a second hardware profile in Win 98 SE that has the network interface card disabled; you might want to do something similar with yours depending on what other devices you might have in your PC.

To get the MIDI tracks into audio, you could pipe them into the Delta card, but I don't know if this gets you anything. I record internally using the SB Live's audio channels, and just play them back through the Delta. It's possible that sending them out from the S/PDIF into the Delta might be better, but I've also heard that the SB Live's digital out is problematic. I have yet to try it.

AlChuck, how do you use both cards with Cakewalk??
I dont get it. Cakewalk appears to only give
you one choice of soundcard, no?

I use a usb midi interface too, that seems
to be a no brainer, but I still dont understand
the two soundcard thing. In fact, right now
I cant play a CD in my PC CD player, because
it is hooked up to the Soundblaster Card, which
I think Is disabled.

This is very confusing to me, any advice would
be great. David

As long as both devices are installed and enabled in Windows, Cakewalk should show them to you. If the Sound Blaster is dsaibled then it might not show up.

Back