Sound card and AMD compatability

jimb

I have an AMD athlon 1.6 Ghz with windows ME and am interested in getting into home recording. I have heard digi is not compatable. What sound cards are?

Are you talking about the Digi001?? It's compatible with AMD, the question is whether it gets along well with your motherboard...

Find out what chipset your motherboard uses (Via kt266a, Amd 760 or Amd 761, Sis735 or Sis 745, nforce 420....just some chipsets of the top off my head) and do a search on the DUC (Digidesign User Conference, it's just a silly name for their forums), to see if there's any known problems.

jimb,

Why Digi? There are many cards out there that will suit your needs just as well and most will cost less. You may want to consider M-Audio, Hoontech, Lynx, and others. Just a thought!

I was not aware m-audio would be compatable. I thought I would run into the same restrictions as with Digi. I look into it. Thnaks.

Again, if you go with M-audio, find out what motherboard and chipset you have and send an email to m-audio to ask if there are any known issues between your setup and the soundcard you want...

m-audio cards work fine with my underpowered AMD 400MHz. I've got a VIA intergrated chipset .. so you can't get any lower than that.

Works great. I've got Windows 2000 however with a ton of RAM.

I suggest you dump Windows ME. Without specific details, I have to tell you that it's IMHO, the worst OS ever made. It crashed all the time on me and that's forbidden when making music.

I had a 5 minute blues rythm that I had just made a nice solo over and .. BOOM! "Blue Screen Of Death" ...

go for Win2K.

Any experience with windows xp on an athlon and m-audio? I was looking at the m-audio 1010 PCI system, hoping to do it right the first time.

I have a via VT820686 chipset athlon 1.6. I quess i should check with m-audio. The delta looks like a good product. the 1010 looked like it comes with preamps as well.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from MAudio about mobo incompatabilities. I still haven't heard from them after several weeks. I just decided to go for it and find out for myself.

For what its worth, I'm running a Delta 1010 on an Abit KR7A (which is based on the VIA 266a chipset), and an XP1800+ and having no problems. I use n-Track.

Hmm...you don't have any idea what motherboard you have? I am pretty sure that your setup will be fine with an M-Audio card....but it would be nice to know what the mobo is.

...oh, and the 1010 doesn't have any mic preamps. For about $150 less, the 1010lt does have a couple mic pres, but no breakout box.

Good luck jimb.

Beats me. I thought the chipset was the same as the motherboard. I do I find out what type of motherboard I have?

Back