Sound blankets and sound blocking

k396s

Hey guys,

I have been building a drum recording room in my basement and trying to isolate the sound as best as possible so it isn't heard from the rest of my house. I did a really cheesy job with everything being that I am broke and on a tight budget, but I am hoping it works. Right now it is basically about a 15 x 8 foot section of a corner of the basement that I built a ceiling over (denim insulation, building foam sandwiched between the ceiling boards and 1/2 sheet rock then acoustic foam over that). The way the basement is built, it is sort of a room in a room. The finished portion of the basement is bordered by the boiler area of the basement which is unfinished. Basically my drum area has 1 exterior wall, 2 walls facing the boiler area and the fourth wall I planned to use hanging sound blankets so I can take them down to still use my workout equipment when not recording.

Anyway, I have done a lot of research and I keep hearing over and over again that nothing but mass blocks sound. People trash talk things like sound blankets and acoustic foam saying they just dampen sound in the room but don't do anything to block sound. This is discouraging to hear, because I really can't rebuild the room or add sheetrock ,and sound blankets and foam are basically all that I can afford.

Here is the thing though....I used AudiMute sound blankets in my parents house to block sound from disturbing the rest of the house for years and they work amazing. The room was built off an exterior wall, so the double french style glass doors are probably the main place that sound enters from. I hung three audimute blankets over the inside of the door, and you just barely hear us jamming away at full volume from inside of the house where as without it, it was almost unbearable for anyone trying to watch TV in the living room. These blankets definitely do seem to BLOCK sound, despite everything I have read. Granted, they needed to be layered up about two deep at least before it really helped significantly...so I guess there is your mass.

I am just wondering, if this is the case, wouldn't hanging these on my walls in the basement/basement door be a good thing to keep sound in the room? There is no insulation in the interior walls so the sound goes right through them and into the larger portion of the basement. You still hear a lot of drum noise from upstairs, but it almost sounds like most of it is coming through to the unfinished area, up the stairs and through the basement door and not through the floor where I figured the problem would be worse. How about find a way to suspend one from the ceiling to help block sound or also help trap it between the blanket and the acoustic foam, would this work?

Thanks! and sorry for the long post!

"blanket" being the obvious word, these are nothing more than over-priced moving blankets that will do nothing to block the sound - they will, however, absorb some of the mid-high frequency sound that would bounce around your basement and then get transmitted up into the house. I didn't do a price calcuation, but go to Harbor Freight and buy their moving blankets to save money.
The low freqency stuff - toms, kick, even the hits on the snare, will go right through your current ceiling treatment- right through the wood itself - to be heard upstairs.
A 'room within a room' construction involves isolating the internal structure with rubber pads that absorb all vibration transfer.
The reason your sunroom blanketing worked is most of the low frequency energy was NOT getting transferred into the house in that situation, it was just the high frequencies going right through the doors.

That makes a lot of sense, it did seem as though it was mainly cutting out just the high frequency sounds as you could still hear a lot of "through the walls" sounding bass. It was just way nicer not hearing the loud, sharp crack of a snare or cymbal in the living room as if you were next to it.

Funny you say that about the harbor freight blankets as I picked up 3 last night for 12 bucks. The only thing I have to say though is the Audimute blankets are MUCH heavier and maybe three times as thick. I can't see how these hb freight movers blankets can work anywhere near as good, but with the price it is worth trying some.

What i am hearing is discouraging though. it sounds like there won't be a way to really isolate the drum sounds in the basement without some serious reconstruction that I don't have time or money for.

Funny you say that about the harbor freight blankets as I picked up 3 last night for 12 bucks. The only thing I have to say though is the Audimute blankets are MUCH heavier and maybe three times as thick. I can't see how these hb freight movers blankets can work anywhere near as good, but with the price it is worth trying some.

But considering the AudiMute blankets are $46 each (when you buy 10!), you'll still do better buying multiple HF moving blankets!

What i am hearing is discouraging though. it sounds like there won't be a way to really isolate the drum sounds in the basement without some serious reconstruction that I don't have time or money for.

You understand correctly. Isolation costs BIG $$$.

Stick with the Harbor Freight blankets. If you need to hang them, get yourself a grommet kit. I just did that with some of my blankets and it works great (for my needs and in my situation).

Bill L

Back