Sound Acoustic Tiles, not glueing to a wall.

fluxburn

I have a bedroom in my studio that I rent. I need some sound acoustics pretty bad, but I don't beleive gluing the pads is really an option for me. I could possibly see myself stapling them into the walls and then filling up the holes when I leave and painting them over. I guess another option would be to drill a few holes in the wall and put a few ropes across the walls and attact the foam acoustic tiles to those. Anyone have any experience with this?

The room is rather huge, ie 22x18 feet. I was planning on buying the huge kit full of pads. Anyone recommend anything? I am looking into Auralex tiles, specificly Auralex 2 Inch Pyramid Studiofoam. They look pretty cool also.

Try running a narrow shelf, like a chair rail, along the perimeter where you want the tiles, rest them on the shelf and tack the tops.

Pick up some heavy packing blankets (HAS to be the thick, heavy-duty kind), some (Corning) 703 insulation wedges (you'll have to hunt some down, which might be tricky), some Liquid Nails . . . and some hooks. :D

Glue a wedge of 703 Insulation to one side of the blanket, using the Liquid Nails.

Turn the blanket so the 703 faces the wall. You can also cover it with some sort of material, or cut up some old sheets -- not totally necessary but not a bad idea, either.

Hang the blanket on the wall.

I also got my foam tiles from foambymail.com --- ok stuff.

I took 2' x 4' squares of cheap masonite and mounted them on the walls with 2 standard wall screw-anchors like you use for pictures or shelves. The tiles are glued to the panels with Arlene's FOAMTASTIC glue from the art/sewing store ($4 a bottle, one will do ya - it's like thick white glue that dries clear but holds foam tight. I've had no pop-offs since usng Arlene's.)

I could take my panels down in a few seconds and easily patch the anchor holes if I had to.

I use T-Pins found at any hobby store/Wal-Mart/Target/Craft Store/etc...
I just push them into the valleys of the foam, about 4 per piece of foam works. Now be careful, after hanging about 96 sq. feet of this stuff, my thumbs were in alot of pain for a couple of days!

so the foam at http://www.foambymail.com seems to be the same price as auralex or maybe slightly cheaper. My question is it the same quality? I am mainly doing this to improve my rooms sound. I live in an old victorian house so sound proofing is more like a joke. The walls are so thin each neighbor can hear each other through the walls quite easily. Not to mention you can make out the words they say if they live right next to you. The guy that plays guitar downstairs can be heard my me upstairs, and we live on opposite sides of the house lol. If this stuff sound proofs the room as well, great stuff. I could really give a rats ass about sound proofing really. This has come up because I think it is about time for this at my current mixing level. I just moved my studio around and noticed that my -20db 100z< probelm has gone away. It has to do with the rooms length and also how close I am sitting to the moniters. You really have to angle the things at you, but you need to sit at least 3-4 feet back from them is what I have found myself. This is not because of the high's, it is purely so the bass hits where I sit period.

There are already tons of hooks on the ceiling, 7 that I count and 7 nails on the top of the windows. The only probelm is that the ceiling for this house it very tall, about 14-15feet. I will need a ladder to affix additional hooks up there. I believe some taunt rope across the ceiling would enable me to put sound deading on the ceiling.

If someone could direct me to a good website for room acoustics that would be great. I am already informed about recording a sine wave at all frequences that you play in your room, but all I have is a crappy peavey mic. The mic really boosts the lower mids with some highs and that is about it. You would need a rather flat mic to do what some of these magazine articles and websites suggest. Does a flat mic even exist period? I was thinking of a more mathmatical approach with using equations etc. to understanding placement.

Have you thought about using velcro strips stapled to the wall and glued to the back of the panels? God, does this sound like something Martha Stewart would try? Aaahhhhhhhhhhh!

one tip on foambymail prices.

They offer better price in ebay.... so search for "foam" in ebay and you'll see foambymail selling their stuffs there at better price. And their shipping price is A LOT cheaper than Auralex.

Well is it the same stuff? I guess so. They have auralex at zzounds.com and samedaymusic. Shipping was like 20-30 bucks big deal

Flux,

> I am mainly doing this to improve my rooms sound. <

You can do a lot better than foam treatment. See my company's site linked under my name below. Besides the product descriptions there's a lot of solid information on acoustics and treatment in general on the Articles page.

> Does a flat mic even exist period? <

Yes. Any decent small diaphragm condenser mike will get you in the ball park. A really good measuring mike is expensive though.

> I was thinking of a more mathmatical approach with using equations etc. to understanding placement. <

It's really not that complicated. Again, this is all explained clearly and in plain English on my company's site. In particular, see my recent article from Electronic Musician magazine.

--Ethan

Well I read an article in EM a while ago, in particular about large dp dips. It prompted me to understand what was going on in my room. That must have been 4-5 months ago though as I basicly have stopped reading the magazine because I have been busy with school. Odd that I find time for internet bbs sites though. Wow these panels are much more expensive. $300 for each panel, but I assume the effects must be astounding using fiberglass vs foam. Thanks, I will figure out how many I might need.

Flux,

> $300 for each panel, but I assume the effects must be astounding using fiberglass vs foam. <

Which panels? The ones my company makes are much less than that. And yes, they're nearly six times more absorbent than corner foam at 125 Hz and below. In that context - absorption per dollar - they're actually cheaper than foam.

--Ethan

MicroTraps cost $119.99 each, those are the cheapest I see, while the normal
MiniTraps cost $179.99 each. To these absorb outside noises also and not just interior noise I suppose?

Sound treatments will not help your situation with sound entering/leaving the room. That is soundproofing and requires heavy mass and an airtight seal.

Even though they absorb sound they really just cut down the room reflections. You neighbors will still be pissed off no matter how much foam you put on the walls.

Flux,

> To these absorb outside noises also and not just interior noise I suppose? <

As Tex explained, room treatment fixes the sound inside the room, and that's not the same as sound isolation.

--Ethan

Back