Sound absorption: combining blankets with bass trapping?

Kapo_Polenton

Guys,

Currently looking into cost effective ways to acoustically treat my studio once it is built. I am currently in the demo phase but looking ahead keeps me motivated. Searching on line, I came across a sound producers absorption sheets that seem to have been designed with acoustics in mind: Custom Blankets. Sound Blanket Sound Blanket-black Producers Choice with 5 grommets, Add Grommets to my blankets, You will notice the price point is rather attractive on these. From what I have read about sound absorption, seems these will cut mid and highs but you will still be left with boomy bass. If I build 4' thick rock wool or rigid fiberglass bass traps from floor to ceiling, would these be worth the investment? the space I have is essentially going to be about 30 x 19 feet with the control room being in the same room as the tracking room. I plan if anything to treat the walls with DIY baffles on the first reflection points but 30 feet is a lot of wall to cover. I thought these might be good to line the room with.

Thoughts? Would combining bass traps with these work well or should I just stick with building a crap load of acoustic panels?

I guess the obvious question is: Do you want to kill your mids and highs?

In most rooms, bass is 99% of the problem. Killing the mids and highs might make it 100% of the problem. But without being in your room, only you can answer whether you really need those blankets or not.

Good point.. I am worried about cancelling out bouncing sound waves or echos but had not thought of whether or not i wanted dry - all bass while killing my highs. Generally speaking, it is that sparkle of the highs that are missing from home recordings in my opinion. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I will stick with the standard 2' and 4' inch fiberglass panels then.

I guess that kills this thread pretty quick! Are there any general guidelines in tracking rooms for how much paneling is required? Corners are obvious, but along the walls?

Don't close the thread yet. I'm just one semi-informed guy with an opinion that probably shouldn't be taken as gospel. :)

To answer your question about how much trapping, the answer I often read from the experts is that you can never have too much. The proper material (rigid fibreglass) won't "kill" your room no matter how much you have. Besides the 4 corners, a cloud over your mixing desk is a good idea, one at each 1st reflection point. If you're going to put them on the walls, stagger them on each side. In other words, never have 2 bare walls facing each other if you can avoid it.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm pretty much just parroting what I hear from people that are a lot more informed than I am. Hopefully one of them will come in and confirm or correct what I said.

Me thinkst he has moved on to greater adventures. Only a memory now. He is however more famous now! :)

I might have found an error in my response already. I just noticed up top you said "tracking room". I was giving advice based on what I think I know about mixing rooms. My advice might not necessarily apply to tracking rooms. The part about putting a cloud over your mixing desk probably doesn't apply at all.

See, I told you I was no expert. :(

The only thing about that product that was designed for music production was marketing it to folks that don't know any better.

Good point.. I am worried about cancelling out bouncing sound waves or echos but had not thought of whether or not i wanted dry - all bass while killing my highs. Generally speaking, it is that sparkle of the highs that are missing from home recordings in my opinion. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I will stick with the standard 2' and 4' inch fiberglass panels then.

I guess that kills this thread pretty quick! Are there any general guidelines in tracking rooms for how much paneling is required? Corners are obvious, but along the walls?

For tracking part of the treatment you go with IMO should be moveable/adjustable- gobos, clouds etc, ways to section off areas for different tasks.

I built a set of three 4x6' panels that can stand up or be on their side to do partial sectioning off, plus some adjustable clouds, are working out well. One (heaver of the three) stays on its side typically the bass amp lives on one side, the drums or whatever else goes on in the rest of room on the other.
It seems to me that free standing stuff does double duty in that respect as it's still adding to the room total.

Back