Soulajar

I'm listening to the streaming files, so commenting on finer points of the mix would be pointless. The overall sound is fairly balanced. Sounds well recorded and mixed. Everything seems to have a sonic place. The drummer has some awkward moments. I'm not really digging the lead singer's use of vibrato. Songwriting is decent. Train-esque.

Listened to "Old Shoe". The bass had plenty of life, but the guitars were a little weak in the mix. The sound is right, could hear everything clearly. I like the dissonate guitar chords, reminds me of the more melodramatic side of Radiohead in their early days (before they sucked :D ).

Drum error at 2:40 I really had a hard time understanding some of the vocals, I'm sure a few listens I could catch them - but the music was much more interesting than the singer's style (not that it was bad, but wasn't anything special either). I think there's some harmony potential at the end when he's repeating whatever line (again, can't quite make it out). Music lacks some depth, it's catchy in a top 40 radio kinda way but not rich/full sounding. The vocalist has a good voice, but in the chorus he could use some help either through overdubbing a harmony or someone else in the band signing along. I also heard some parts where more emotive, maybe even screaming, singing would've helped.

[/babbling]

Back