Soul Outside

DM60

Starting my next album. This one is getting close.

Ok, changed the ending, good suggestion Chili, does make a difference.

Found the offending note, it was an F on the keyboard. Not sure if I didn't like it better with the off note, I like some sour, but I changed it for now. I will have to listen to the two different version. But it was a good catch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Pretty nice. I like the easy vocal delivery. It's not stilted like a lot of stuff in the genre. The electric could probably come up a bit.

I know I'm not right about this, but it almost sounds like the piano is out of tune. Or maybe a bass part is not agreeing with the rest of the song. I can't put my finger on it, but something is slightly "off" musically.

The song has a strong CSN influence. Mostly because the harmonies are really nice, but the arrangement and melody are very much what I'd expect from them. I say that as a good thing.

I honestly can't find anything worth critiquing, it all works and sounds great. Okay, maybe the ending could be better than a short fadeout. But as far as suggestions go, that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

First song I heard from you in a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Good job, man.

I know I'm not right about this, but it almost sounds like the piano is out of tune. Or maybe a bass part is not agreeing with the rest of the song. I can't put my finger on it, but something is slightly "off" musically.

It's the bass line 'F' note starting the run that creates tension or whatever that would be called. Personally I would play an 'A' there every time to hold the root. But not my place to judge...My soul is currently inside. :)

Song is catchy and I dig the feel.

Cool man! Enjoyed.

I agree with Chili, the end could be a longer fade or maybe just Acapella. Just a thought. :)

Thanks everyone, I will revisit the bass lines.

I really think listening in the clinic and reading everyone's comments has helped me record and much better. If I have done well, it is a result of this board.

Ok, changed the ending, good suggestion Chili, does make a difference.

Found the offending note, it was an F on the keyboard. Not sure if I didn't like it better with the off note, I like some sour, but I changed it for now. I will have to listen to the two different version. But it was a good catch Chris.

Changes the original post to include update.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

Sounds pretty good DM. There is a sharp sibilance at 311.

I agree about the CSN vibe.

So what's the story on this? All real? Samples?

Thanks manslick. Drums are MIDI (SD), piano is MIDI using keyboard controller. Bass and guitar are DI'd with basic IK amp sims, I only use one or two of the amp sims.

Mic'd acoustic to give it a more real sound (I use it a lot as it gives me my beat). Vocals are just multiple takes. Tambourine is real, but with a stick.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks manslick. Drums are MIDI (SD), piano is MIDI using keyboard controller. Bass and guitar are DI'd with basic IK amp sims, I only use one or two of the amp sims.

Mic'd acoustic to give it a more real sound (I use it a lot as it gives me my beat). Vocals are just multiple takes. Tambourine is real, but with a stick.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah you are welcome. Thank you for the inside info.

I actually liked the overall tone of mix 1 better. Mix 2 has some harshness in it. The vocal and the piano are kind of pointy in mix 2. The lead vocal is also kind of buried in mix 2.

The sleigh bells get a little swirly. But I'll bet a nickel that's because of SC.

The bass is a little clearer in mix 2. There is a boomy frequency in there that you should tame. I'm thinking it's in the 160hz range.

Agreed. The guitar got really edgy in mix two. Vocals are a lot less laid back. The ending IS better, but the second mix sounds like what happens to my mixes when I use the limiter too heavy...

Thanks TM, there is some boost o the EQ in that range. I will pull that down.

Thanks BH. Only difference between mix 1 and 2, changed the F note on the piano and took off the fade. Not sure what else changed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back