Sort of a Song

Ever listen to Pink Floyd? ;)

I'll have to agree, I liked this one! I will listen to it again and offer more detailed feedback soon...

OK

The cut in :36 is a little too soon. We lose the last half of the word. A short pause, hold a note or something--then cut in the solo. The same thing at 1:53 too fast cutting in the solo. It breaks the song too much. The stuff cutting in at 2:34 is totally off base and does not fit, you can find a better way to end the song.

The playing is good, voices are nice. Overall, nice sound but the choices on cuts needs to be reworked.

Whoa there....

I gotta be frank here - you really sucked me in to this song. Superb playing and very smooth mixing - great vocals - the snare smacks me in the face a little much - but that's a nitpick....

But then you took me from LA or NYC right into downtown Baghdad - whoa, man - that was a little drastic for my tastes.

Sorry but that toasted me.
I sure did like the rest of the tune, though!!

Milan

very emotional, convincing performance.

I wanted a wildcard but I guess not every song needs a wildcard.

good job overall.

Really Thanks

For your time. All criticism is accurate.
MC Gitarz, you cracked me up with your remarks about the ending. This was part of a song that blends into another. The mp3 of the whole thing would have been too large.

CyanJaguar, what is a "wildcard"? Its sounds like something I might be interested in.

Hey man,
Very cool...very dynamic....lots of change ups....some good comments by the other fellas...
What I want to know is how you get your Stevie Vai guit tone?
That is just so frickin' cool.....

and who's voice is at the end?
Is that you with a big pitch adjustment?....or a fem vox?

Good tunage man...saved to my HD...
Joe

Thanks Joro for the listen

Steve Vai huh? LOL. The guitar was a direct out from a Yamaha DG80, the first time I haven't used a mic for a solo guitar part...ever. The voice at the end was some wav file I found on the web, voice of India(?) or something. I use a guitar synth and recently hooked a sampler to my set-up so the voice of India thing can be played from the guitar. Its a fun toy, it even says "fuck you asshole" but you know that, lol

This is quite cool, love the guitar sound you got going there. What kind of keyboard sound is that? Vibrarhodes?

lynx

I am using an EX5R sampler. That particular patch was some sort of Fender Rhodes with ping-pong pan. It even distorts if you hit the key hard, like a Rhodes. Thanks for listening

Real clean sound. Nice playing and singing. Very nice singing voice. Real good "Pink Floydish" feel to the song. I liked the changups when it goes to the "harder section." Well done.

I'd recommend keeping those lead vocal tracks down the center. Syncing issues are rather noticable. I think they'd be less noticable, possibly to the point of being undetecable by the "lay listener," if they were down the center.

Right before the first vocal line, I can hear (what I think) is your mouth opening (once for each vocal track). Almost sounds like static.

Little pop at :04.

Not sure the samples at the end added much to the song. I could hear numerous pops through that section.

Thanks TripleM
Its rare I hear anything good said about my voice, but I'll take it. I do know what you mean about the two voices being panned to center, I have to give that a shot. I tend to rush things and just do one to three takes on whatever I record. If I spend much more time than that I begin to hate the tune and will never finish anything. I wish I could be more disciplined, thanks for your time.

Sounds good. All the playing etc. is good. Perhaps the drums need to be louder for the chorus, and quieter in the verse. Are they played live? They sound good.

John Lennon comes to mind right off the bat. Of course, that's a good thing. :-)

Nice guitar tone, but it kind of startled me when that part came in! It was just like BAM! Personally, I'd prefer a rapid crescendo there or something, maybe? Great playing though.

Your voice sounds fine, but I'd have to agree with the panning at least one of them to center (I think I saw something about that... I haven't really read the other responses).

Solo guitar's a bit loud in places, IMO. That's really the only mix thing that really bothers me.

Very rich. Very Floyd after it gets going. Very Vai/Satriani during the solos. Sorry... I don't mean to keep comparing you to other artists; some people really hate that. But they're all great artists, so it's meant as a compliment.

I'd like to hear the song that the ending leads into, 'cause that's a kick-ass ending.

Nice song. Like the chops on the axe. Keep sending stuff our way!

Piltdown Man

CanopuS thanks for your time. The drums are a Boss Dr770 triggering a Roland TD6. I need to spend more time on the programming end to make better drum tracks, it is a weak point for me.

PiltdownMan lol good screen name, I thought the piltdown man never exsisted. I have no problems with the comparisons. I find it interesting. I am mainly a guitar player and although I have heard of Vai, I can't say I have ever heard anything by him. I'll have to check him out. I've always been kind of a Fripp fan. I was a big PinkFloyd fan in 1968(loved Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother) so thanks for that comparison. Thanks for listening and I hope to post more often.

Really liked this!!! I love the Rhodes! Your voice is cool. A bit reminiscent of Gilmour...

I'm not a fan of that style of guitar personally so I won't comment on that.:rolleyes:

Thed return to the verse at 1:18 where you add the strings and flute is nice! But the rhodes is the best! Ugh! Don't like that guitar though. It sounds too heavy metal!

Outro cool, but maybe a bit too long. I understand that it was meant to be a segway into probably another section of teh BIG song, but for chopping up purposes, I'd personally fade that out a little sooner. It's too cool of a sample to let it go on and kill the effect.

Nice job smellophant!!!!

Back