Sorry If I Offend Anyone

ncorea

Sorry If I Offend Anyone.....But

Why is everyone using the same sounding weak keyboard strings in there beats these days. No offence but these days all these so called producers are adding the same elements to their beats, the same 808 drum kits with the same sounding pianos and strings. All i'm trying to say is break out of that mold and explore other sounds, don't enclose yourself to the sounds of your sound modules, experiment with other elements.

And to all that are against sampling, just remember how hip hop started, and if your clever enough with your samples, no one will know. To me sampled intruments and drums have a certain feel, an original quality that sound modules simply can't produce. I see a lot of people here asking questions like "how can i get that pro, major lable production sound?". Well to start most use real intruments when they can and sample instuments when they can. Now I'm not saying nobody uses synths and stuff, I am clearly aware of the Neptunes, and Timbaland. But even Timbaland uses really dope samples and he really freaks them up. Just check out DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Jay Dee, and The Alchemist, just to name a few. Do you think they can produce their dope tracks just using their sound modules, no. They use pure organic samples, and they really come up with some bangers.

And another thing, I hear mad people say if you sample you aren't original. So they go off and bang on a keyboard and say it's the hottness. I know there are alot of producers that can actually play an intrument and understand music theory to come up with dope tracks, and other that that don't and come up with dope tracks. But then there are a lot that get into hip hop production because it's "cool" right know (Just like eveybody wants to be a DJ) and just bang on keys and gives us endless loops of "bangin on a keyboard sound" with synth strings every now and then. People, sampling is not just looping a a 4 bar section of a song, yes it is done, but that isn't a good representation on sampling. Puffy made that form notorious and everyone got tired of it. He didn't just sample he took the entire song and did it over, to me that just rapping over another beat, not sampling. Sampling to me is Pete Rock and CL Smooth T.R.O.Y, and I have the original record where the sample came from and I still can't tell where he got those beautifully sampled horns. That is sampling magic. That song holds a a feeling in it that no keyboard beat can reproduce and thats just one example.

So please, don't confine yourselves, experiment and think out the box, this is hip hop, we don't need no hip hop presented drums, or fake ass strings. Our surroundings are our sound palette, lets use it. We don't need Roland, Korg or any other company to tell us what hip hop should sound like, hip hop has no rules it's a culture of using what you got to create and inovate.

If anyone has something to say about this please hit me up.
scratchcrew@aol.com , i'll be glad to resond.

Peace
Nelson

www.geocities.com/warcountry ( for now )
www.warcountry.com ( Coming soon)

Last edited:
remeber..........

way back when they said hip hop is just a fad
all roland and other CO's knew was that we needed a pounding Bass note to make "the cars that go boom"
keyboard and drum machine makers dont listen to Rap, I am convinced......
this is why we keep getting the lame ass sounds

The reason why everyone is using week ass strings is because everybody thinks in the box just like you said. Thats ok though, it just makes it easier for you and I to be different. Every time I hear a new rapper come out, thats sounds like the same old sh*t, I actually am relieved. Hip hop is moving slower that means, And to me, that means I have more and more time to perfect what I'm doing, so when I am finally ready to unleash it upon the world, we will be dying for some new sh*t. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but thats what rap sounds like to me.

right now I'm using my fruity loops, cool edit, and Acid to make some crazy drum and Bass style rap. Drum & Bass is Hard core Techno 4 those that dont know, like 150+ bpm's, roughly double rap. I figure with all this rap/rock sh*t thats out on the radio, fusion is a good thing. I just have to figure out how to record the sh*t for the Masses. Man, I need a CD burner. All my friends are trippin off this shit, they want me to go do Rave's and sh*t, I guess I just got to get up off my ass and do it. Anyone heard of Aphrodyte or the Jungle Bros?

The future of RAP is in our grasp, If you dont like how it sounds, do somthin about it. If anything, Rap should have taught you that you should be about your mail, do whatcha know good, and If thats Rap, use it to your advantage. Allright, 'nuff said, I'll get off the soap box now -Peace

thanks for your input ErikG.

Anyone else ?

I'm trying to start a discussion here with everyone, and I would really like to hear your views on the subject.

Peace

i simply loved LL on mtv unplugged..that rocked...

plus the beasties and their live instruments rock also..adds a killer dynamic to hip-hop imho...

there's also too many uninspired rock-rap hybrids out now (boggles the mind) .......but, rage against the machine took it to a whole new level imho...."take the power back"...:D

All so very true, and all the reasons why I've started producing progressive... My friends say "WTF??? you really had a thing going with your trance there! Idiot..." Oh well I'm so sick of the same stupid sounds, stupid melodies and stupid bass lines.

Progressive isn't exactely gonna get you a big arse house or anything, but it's way more challenging.

I like using real drum sounds to go with a heavy and slow synthetic beat, (NO BONGOS!!!!!) and sampling can really kick arse when you fiddle and fart with it for long enough time...

from what I gather, people that are in to rap dont neccisarily have any music skills whatsoever. of course there are exceptions, but most rappers dont produce there own stuff. And most rappers just wanna talk about them being the baddest thing out since the last guy. just a bunch of ego trippin. hopefully that will change, cause rappers dont last too long, very few can put out even 5 albums. We might think, Damn 5 albums is a lot, but look at real musicians like the beatles or Led Zep, or Frank Zappa, they have at least 10 albums, frank zappa has like 30 albums out. the only rappers i can think of that have 10 albums are too short and e-40, allthough snoop will probly do it.

Damn guys, i just bough my first Digweed CD, was i ever missing out. I need some help picking out some recording gear, but i'll make a new post.

Peace out

Hey thanks ErikG for you view. I guess you are right, most just get in it for a while then just dissapear.

I'll tell you right now I'd don't have any formal music education, but for being a hip hop producer I can at least say I have DJ experience(8 years). I think that experience is the most important when it comes to hip hop production because your are emersed in the music, you learn the music and study it's workings, you understand the power of how beat drops can save an otherwise repetative track.
I was talking to my production partner the other day and he said to become a hiphop producer, Djing should be the prerequisit. That really got me thinking on how important it was to have those skills. To know what will turn an audience out and how to capture and control your audience. So yeah most hip hop producers don't have a musical background, but a least for some they understand how music works.

Where are all the hiphop producers in this forum? Surely you guys have some input on how we can change this lack of creativity in our music.

Peace
Nelson

Last edited:
get musicians to write and play your loops/parts...give it an original sound...use all sorts of intruments..acoustic guitars..whatever...

just some thoughts...:)

Oh GAWD the End is NEAR!!!!

"All my friends are trippin off this shit, they want me to go do Rave's and sh*t"

please don't ever connect hiphop with that shallow scene...

damn! where are the heads knowing, by most of what ya'll say I can tell yo'll have no idea what's going on and only know hiphop from the eyes of your TV.

When's the last time any of you went to a local hiphop show?

It's cool that ya'll want to do something new, but it doesn't mean your times ever going to come or you onto something, people have been doing innovative creative hiphop for aslong as hiphop's been around and still are. There's more doing it like this today then ever before.

Ya'll gotta wake up!

sorry to offend any of you, but please!!! this is sad

Hey Priz, I never said I was down with rave, i'm hiphop 100%, I just want to know why so many heads make beats that sound the same, and have that stupid ass string part in them(yall know what i mean). As for this sad post, I haven't heard one reply from another HIPHOP producer, most that replied here are Ravers and Progressive heads, that's all cool, but i really was trying to here from the hip hop community, but I guess none of yall stepped up.

Peace
Nelson
www.geocities.com/warcountry

werd!

That's cool, but frea'l this site sucks for any hiphop knowledge bassically... peep hiphopinfinity.com and go to the beatmakers board, it's not really like an advise board exactly, but heads know what their talkin about.

I agree, but that's the industry and it's about the money and what's "hot" right now blah blah... we all know how it goes. peace!

WTF are you smokin on???? Never been to a hip hop club? you need to step down clown, I'm from the S.A.C-Town, Been listining to the shit since, UMC's, fuckin back when everybody used bells, (what the fuck were they thinking?) I diddnt ever say I should go rap at raves, (ALTHOUGH THEY ALREADY DO, AND HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS, INCLUDING BIG NAMES LIKE BUSTA RHYMES AND TRIBE CALLED QUEST)Yes I do DJ, (I SPUN AT THAT RAVE I SAW BUSTA AND Q AT, IN OAKLAND CA)and all DJ's gotta make a living spinning somewhere, If your ever in SAC, look me up, I spin at clubs all the time and yes our city has 2 somthing million people, I've worked with Big names, I've been into music for years, and maybe that's just it. I'm into music, and you probably are not. I'm new to recording my shit, my girlfriend kicked me one day and asked me why I wasnt making any money at it. Fair enuf? maybe your right, but maybe It's Just like I said with the ego trippin, I'm bigga than the next nigga just cause I gotta trigga, gots no heart though additude havin people like you. Oh well. your loss, my gain. The grinch stole your christmas again, wouldn't you like to get it back? It's out there waiting.....

Seriously though, go listen to APHRODITE, or the Jungle Bros. I bet it'll think differently about the blend

I look forward to whatever else you have to say about me not being "Real"

ok...

yeah, i'm probably not into music :)

sorry to so offend you...but you came off how you did to me.

"The reason why everyone is using week ass strings is because everybody thinks in the box just like you said"

No! everyone doesn't think in the box! There are tons of tite groups doing innovative hiphop, and using wide variaties of sounds exactly like ncorea stated he would like to see more of. hell, your one of them, there's too many more like you to count.
They just arn't on MTV etc or they don't get much play on the radio if none, but if you checked local shows, the internet or any other source you would know this, because...there everywhere! There's tons of reasons why people would think in the box when they do, so i wont get into that.

Ofcourse I know peeps been doing rave's, it's more money etc. Still means it's lame despite what huge artists do it.
Q-tip sold out along with Busta who only released one good album to most, although he is an innovator and one of the greats they arn't anything great now, it's no wonder they would do raves. not hatin, just statin my opinion, there all about the money now, nothing wrong with that. I just don't listen to them anymore, they sacrifised their music, they sacrificed my ears.

Aswell as this rap/rock fusion to me is a joke, 100% trend.
not only is it purely done because it's the new thing to jock, but it's done very badly...horrible emceeing, no rhythm etc, they should atleast learn how to master some flows and expression in their vocals before sounding like a cheap gimic. Sure yeah, it's cool, rage against the machine's been doing it nicely for a while now. it could be good, it's not of lately to me at all.

What can i say... your from a bigger town, know some big names, how can i compete, I'll step down now because I care.
It's all peace bro, I don't smoke anything, don't try to test my intelligence. keep doin your thang, you probably will explode, something will when it gets big enuff.

as i see it, rap/hip-hop is going in two big directions, at least in the underground. The best record i've heard in a *very* long time is Buck 65's "Man Overboard", which I think (or at least hope) is the direction that mainstream hiphop is heading.. give it 10 years, but it'll be there. As far as underground stuff, I see things becoming more of a hybrid of Hip-Hop and techno... more techno elements appearing in hip-hop, and vice versa. Just check out any stuff by Atari Teenage Riot/Alec Empire (the greatest producer today, period) or Chilly Gonzalas.. especially Atari Teenage Riot's "60 Second Wipeout."
We all need to face the fact that hip-hop is changing drastically... and we need to change with it or be forgotten.

Chris

hmmm.

chris you have an alright theory, but buck 65 will always be one of a kind (except geovernor bolts :)) there's no way he's gonna start a revolution, if he was he would have already. I'd say it's heading in a more conscious direction, mainly, but instead of saying it will be more like techno, i'd disagree, most into hiphop "hate" techno and the only thing that relates is the same equipment etc. Hiphop is already showing us with groups like Anticon, that it's going to split into mainy sub-genres from the mother ship called "hiphop". This is truly the most realistic theory.

As of buck65, your right in the sense that more and more avante garde hiphop is being excepted now, as for the past if it's not black, ghetto etc it wasn't considered music that would sell. Artists are starting to prove more that originality is accepted. but the undergrounds evolving so much faster than the mainstream that only the really basic and in most cases the worst are making it big. We're getting abunch of sudo-underground/hiphop groups like dialated peoples, who really don't have any talent at all, but sell due to stapleing themselves the new and more trendy lable of "real" hiphop.
LL crew is finally pushing themselves to that next step so I think they're going to finnally have a very good impact on the masses.

So bassically all we can do is wait and see, it's bassically the industry that's gonna say where hiphop goes, unless some group wins the lottery and gains a fraction of the power they have to turn tables.

As of current I think comurshull hiphop is going back into battle mode :( but it still beats the money boasting fo-sheez.

they DONT tweak the sounds. thats the problem. 864862864319754973259 people with the SAME keyboard using the SAME presets. oh me? i tweak the sounds. i use samples samples from loop cds (such as acid) or sounds from sound modules or soft synths. i use it all. however when i do use loops i dont loop it over and over and over. i try to make a song out of it. all my hook parts are different. all my verses are different. i have my OWN style. now listen to this and see if you can tell where the sounds came from or if you heard em before.

http://artists2.iuma.com/preview/ipfreelee/index-1.htmlm

czar

HERE WE GO AGAIN

If i have to tell this story one mo time i'm gone hurt somebody. Hip hop music is taking nothing and turning it into something. thats how it started and that is what it will always be. Strings didnt mean anything in hip hop at first. they were basically nothing to hip hoppers. until somebody took it and turn it into something we could identify with. took it to another level of the game. before strings it was the synths with all those weird presets before that it was rock guitar riffs and before that it was bells and whistles. all things that ment nothing to us individually that we found a new and unique way to claim as ours. overuse of anything will make it sound weak. producers make their own sound. hobbiest try to sound like what ever is popular.

As for sample cd's....use them only as you need them. Even though you may not be a "real musician" the people who make them are. nothing sounds better than real instruments but sound is like ice cream... nobnody wants the same flavor all the time. As for sampling .....do it. But make your music represent you dont you end up representing it. When somebody hears it they should not even notice the samples untill they have heard the song for the 20th time and one day it hits them ....not oh you took a old school beat and made a song around it.

As for this ROCK/RAP. Stop hating. you all should feel honored that somebody has decided to copy something that is more than 20 years old. What they are doing now is what RUN DMC did in the begining just different guitar riffs. hell Ice T even did it when he started out. Hip hop will never sit in one place. A force that is strong enough to come from nothing must be expected to show up everywhere. So when you hear of hip hop being mixed with raves,rock, hell country migh even show up on the list, just know that that is a sign of people acknowledging the greatness of it.

Back