sorry for asking

ridl

I apologize pre-scripto. I currently have a sony F-V220(I hear the graves spinnin and mass scoff's). The vocals I record(only vocals, no instruments!)vary from punk to rap, and I'm looking for mic under $50 that can attain digital records w/ a limited amount of background fuzz and whatnot. I know everyone will say I'm crazy and to give up, but help would be appreciated.
thanks

I don't even know what a Sony F-V220 is.

Fifty dollars is pretty tight. Best would be if you could find a used Shure SM57 for that. I got one for something like $55 once. I bet you could beat that if you look around more. Other used dynamic mics might go in that neighborhood: an Audio Technica, maybe.

Thank you, I'll check out some pawn shops. Don't try looking up what the sony is, I got it from best buy for $20...not bad per se for just messing around, but horrid if you want anything to sound clear(it distorts and even moving your hand on it makes noise).

Here are a couple of "sleeper" dynamic microphones to keep an
eye on in addition to the venerable Shure SM57

1) EV 835A omni (typically $60 or less used)
2) Peavey (yes Peavey!) 520i LARGE diaphram
typically under $75 used
Just scored one on e-bay for $60 in mint condition BTW!
3) Shure 545 Unidyne III (ancestor of SM57) typically $50 or
less used

Chris

Good show, time to hit some pawn shops. I found my $20 bestbuuy mic actually doesn't sound half bad going straight into a computer. I could use some better clarity. What is that called, what I'm looking for, clarity? definition? responsivness?

Going straight into the computer? I'm new at this myself, but my understanding is that the mic preamps in most soundcards are more or less worthless. Perhaps a stand alone mic preamp or small used mixer (which would have preamps in it) could help reduce background noise etc.

I donno what happened, but there's barely any noise. Something must have changed, I notice no hum, even though I can hear my compute hum 10 ft away.

Bump your budget a bit and get a Shure SM58 (preferably) for $99 at Guitar Center. It is the workhorse of mic's for most clubs for a reason, and every studio has some, even if they dont' use them for vocals much anymore. Think about this...do you want crappy vocals on all your stuff over $50? Isn't it worth the investment to have a much better result? When I play my stuff for people I want it to sound as good as I can afford.

Back