sorry, another problem: wierd delay effect

Christian

yes, me again - (hope you didn't expect me to start recording flawlessly after my last elementary stuff up?)

Still struggling with adding a guitar track to an imported drum track. When I do so 2 things go seriously wrong (which I've got a feeling are related):

1) The drum track gets recorded/bounced down onto the guitar track; As in when I mute the drum track i can still hear drums on the guitar track I just recorded. How/why did they leak on there? Is there some setting I can adjust?

2) This is even worse, and has stopped me in my tracks (so to speak) - during the recording and when I play it back a wierd echo/delay effect occurs at frequent points with both the guitar and drums so as to make recording impossible....sounds a bit like a brand of techno music(!)

Any ideas you guys? - you saved me last time. Slackmaster, are these symptoms of having a bad sound card like you mentioned?

thanks in advance

Hi Christian
Go to program - accessories - entertainment - volume control - options - properties and select adjust volume for recording.Make sure "wave out" is NOT selected (default is checked, I think). Sounds like that is what is hapening in the first case.
Rerecord after you try the above and then report if your second problem is still occuring.Good luck.
Tom

phasing

your drum echo and your wierd delay are coth caused by PHASING...

Your speakers are being picked up by your mic, causing your guitar track to echo and putting a ghost of your drums onto the guitar track.

SOLUTION: Record tracks using headphones and make sure speakers are off.

Thanks for the advice Tom and Sonny ....still haven't found a solution though :-(

- when I turn off the wave volume on the "recording" volume controls I lose the sound of the drum track entirely - both when I'm recording and even when I just try to play it back - I'm not sure why this should happen. (When I say "lose entirely" that's not quite true - I can hear it very very quietly in the background)

- when I plug in a set of headphones, the problems I have mentioned are reduced a little but are still there. When recording and playing back the drums still skip and echo fairly frequently although the guitar doesn't where I think it used to....and the drums still leak in their echoey form onto the new guitar track I'm putting down.

I just did an experiment of recording the new track but instead of playing guitar just letting the drums leak onto it on their own (still using headphones instead of speakers). Same problem of skipping drums occurs. Anyway I used the magnifying lense to focus in on the wave formations for the 2 tracks. Basically the two waves are very similar, except that the new track is actually slightly ahead of the original drum track - as in each beat appears at an earlier time point (to the left) for the new track compared to the original fruity loops imported track - which obviously gives it that wierd "techno" effect when the two tracks are playing together. However, even if the original track is muted, the drums leaked to the new track still have errors - quite frequently skipping or extra beats occur.

:( :confused: What do I do guys? Please keep the advice coming...

Back