Soon to begin my first drum recording experience.

I wore out that "Birds of Fire" album and still can't figure half of it out. :D
At the time that I was initially getting into jazz fusion, I was rummaging through my friend's record collection and I chanced upon the album. My mate was in the bath so I had a listen while I waited and I was blown away by it ! I played side 2 first by mistake and so that's how I've always listened to it. It's chock full of great tracks and some like the title track have the oddest time signatures. That was one thing among many that I've always dug about McLaughlin's excursions in the '69-'75 period, his ability to come up with followable riffs within the most unusual time signatures. And I've long admired the drummers he played with like Billy Cobham, Tony Oxley, Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette and those that were able to put rhythm and shape to his compositions and improvisations.
Though not hard rock per se, the Orchestra were extremely loud ! Though not as loud as his former band Lifetime, when Jack Bruce was in the band.

hey guys! thought id drop in to knock the thread back on track :P started messing around with drums, and im happy with the sounds of the overheads bottom snare and kick, but the toms = too resonant no punch, i think its tuning problem, but me and my drummer arnt sure how to remedy the problem. secondly the top snare skin sounds dull and flat whereas the under skin is bright and punchy, is this normal? thought id try and ask about this before posting results cause it seems pretty common. thanks

how are they tuned. My drum tunes the tops to b flat and the bottom to e i think or vice versa i forget sorry. Also how are the heads? You will be surprised on how much new heads make a difference. also you might want to invest in a bunch of different style skins and find the ones that best fit the recording. We go fro much crisper sounding skins for recording that we do for live.

Most likely though its a tuning problem. Simple as that. Go back and retune them and make sure it is at the correct pitch for the drums you have. Do detune a 12" tom to much and stuff like that.

You should post a sample.

yeah thanks, the heads are pretty damn new, no dents or anything, just light scuffling and my drummer recons these are her favorite heads and says they'll sound the best. they have been tuned but ill try tuning the bottom skin higher to get a deader sound. thanks if all goes to plan tomorrow should have something up for you!

A lot of times what people, especially if their drums have never been recorded before, think sounds good in a room with their ears isn't what they actually sound like recorded. Best to throw up some direct mics and make sure you're getting a good sound that way, since I don't play drums I find it easier to tune them by adjusting then recording over and over until I get the sound I want.

A lot of times what people, especially if their drums have never been recorded before, think sounds good in a room with their ears isn't what they actually sound like recorded.
In the tiny room that I record the drums in {my kids' bedroom}, when the drums are being played and I'm setting the levels and stuff, the drums are so loud and close to my ears that good or bad doesn't come into it ! They just sound.......like drums ! And then when I'm trying to hear what they're like through headphones, they're so loud or soft that out of the context of a mix, they just sound.......like drums ! I'm just aiming for each drum and cymbal coming through clearly and a good snare/kick/hat/tom balance. Then while tracking, unless the drummer specifically wants the drums in the cans, I'll record with just the bass or guitar in the cans. I can hear the drums loud and clear without having them in the cans. They're louder in real life than in the cans !
The real surprize comes when listening to the playback. I route them through my stereo and what may have felt like a wild loud hearing imparing crash bang wallop plays back as a set of drum tracks that is well balanced {to me anyway} and almost sedate with the volume moderate. Nothing like what it's like in the room !

Back