Sony Vegas??

kcearl

I see deaf people
I bought the studio version a couple of weeks back and have been using visualization software to make videos for a youtube channel

to be honest I dont think I have the time or inclination to make great videos so this will do for the time being

I just wondered in the full version of Vegas has somekind of effect that I could make silhouettes to put on top of the visuals or like an image of me playing a synth...like a blue screen effect??

can this be done?

heres an example of a basic one..I wouldve liked a silhouette of a martial arts going over it

I'm using Vegas Studio Platinum 8, which, though not the full version, has all the features that I've needed. I don't know how it compares to the studio version.

To get the effect you are after, you need a video track above the track with your existing visuals.

If you want video of you playing synth, you need to shoot that video in front of a green screen. In fact, it doesn't really matter what colour the background is so long as it is very even in colour, and is a colour that does not appear in the subject. I made myself a green screen, but I've also successfully used an old blue blanket. Getting even lighting over it is the hardest part.

Once you've got this shot and uploaded in vegas, you can insert a chroma keyer plugin. The Sony one gives you an eyedropper so yo can be very exact about the chroma key colour. Adjust low and high threshholds to get the best separation between you and background.

Brilliant...thanks Gecko...Im sure the studio version has this

Is there anyway to silhouette a figure that you know of?

Hey kc... I bought the one below the full version which is Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite (fark they don't half make it difficult with their version names...) is that what you have?

I haven't found any way to do that blue screen type of thing, but in trolling round looking for instructional vids on how to use it I found a couple that talk about masking, where you could take a mask of something (you playing the keyboard) and lose the background, and then presumably use effects to make it a silhouette and then drop it over the top of your visualisation thingy...

I believe that's only in the big momma version though. Haven't found it anywhere in mine.

What did you use to make your fractally things?

yeah mine is the studio 9 version...the full one looks like some serious $$$$ to make crappy videos and I just bought a moog and an amp this month :(

even if I can just put something over them to make it a little interesting..I quite like the visuals anyway

Is there anyway to silhouette a figure that you know of?

I've wanted to do silhouettes, but have never figured it out. It's all about masking (as Armistice says), but that's a bit of video technique that so far eludes me.

mmm Im gonna delve deeper and see if I can find some tutorials on other sites...

You know, if you play a tune on an xbox it kind of produces those same fractal-like patterns. I've been trying to figure out a way to record that to make some easy videos short of just pointing a camera at the tv.

Is Sony Vegas expensive? Compatable with only Sony cameras? Recommended?

Mix sounds freakin' awesome through the youtube feed btw...

You know, if you play a tune on an xbox it kind of produces those same fractal-like patterns. I've been trying to figure out a way to record that to make some easy videos short of just pointing a camera at the tv.

I've done that . . . point a camera at the screen and shoot!

With Vegas there are various levels. Vegas Studio is cheaper, but not as fully featured (for example it allows only four video tracks, whereas Vegas is unlimited. Vegas Studio is cheap . . . I downloaded it for about $120 Aus a few years ago, and worth every cent.

I use a Panasonic camera. I have to export video from the camera through the Panasonic interface, then import into Vegas. I've not experienced any problems. I've not sued the direct capture feature of Vegas, nor the cature from DV tape, so I can't advise on that.

Recommended? I would. Vegas and Reaper are pretty identical in how they operate, and using both makes me very comfortable.

+1 ^^^

Recommended? I would. Vegas and Reaper are pretty identical in how they operate, and using both makes me very comfortable.

That struck me too... took me a while to get used to various things in Reaper, and then got Vegas and lookee here... lots of stuff works the same way...

I haven't done much with it so far but it's pretty damn easy to use..

I got sony vegas studio 9 for $40!!

its perfect for what im doing just now and way ahead of just using movie maker...for the visuals Ive been using Cam studio (free) to just capture the screen...can you get your xbox to play on a PC screen???

i dont know why but I think the youtubes improved as Im sure audio didnt sound that good on it before...sounds fine now, I dont do anything special to it

Good info... thanks gents.

I've done the record the screen with a camera thing and it worked I guess, but awfully grainy.

People post youtube videos of direct feeds of xbox games being played all the time, so I have to think I can feed the musical images it offers to the pc somehow too. We have xbox live, so the xbox is online.

My limited experience with videos has been with movie maker, which works I guess, but just way too limited. I want an upgrade big time. Maybe Vegas is the deal.

And yes, I think the audio on youtube is getting better. Your shit in particular sounds big and crystal clear.

I have Reaper (haven't used it yet) - so good to know it's compatible. :) Sorry Keith - not trying to derail your thread....

its there for the derailing :D

I bought vegas on the sony site...Id like to say its the best $40 ive spent but we have some cheap hookers here

I've got a suggestion for the silhouette trick. Don't know if it will work.

All white background, black clothes on martial artist. Record the sequence.

In Vegas, use Sony's Black and White plug to remove any color, then use Sony's Threshold plug. Set the amount to get the effect you want. It should work well from my quick experiment. So, two plugs on the video clip. B/W and Threshold.

Another tip: If you've got too many plugs on the project and it slows down your preview screen, you can always render the smaller clips with their effects to a new clip, then import that clip back in without the need for effect plugs. Kind of like freezing a track in a DAW.

ah cool stuff chili...

the masking effect looks pretty simple and will get the result i need if studio can do it, if not i may have to upgrade

Back