SONY TC-366 Audio problem

ramana_1509

I have recently acquired a AS-IS SONY TC 366 from a flea market.
The drive belts were worn out and I was able to get the Tape corder mechanically restored.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the electronics.
During play back the audio seems to be good and after some time it gets very distorted and lot of clicks and pops are heard in both the channels. Some time one of the channel behaves good for sometime before getting distorted.

This does happen only when the audio source is Tape. When changing to an external input the audio seems to be doing ok. As soon as i change back to tape source there is distortion in audio.

To me it looks like something bad is happening on the playback pre amp circuitry. I have'nt started looking at the circuit yet.
But not sure if this is due to bad / dry electrolytics. Or is it something with the transistors.

Any advice / help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Ram

Have you done any visual inspection?
I'm a total electronics noob, but I'd be checking out the caps first.

At least you've narrowed it down to a small board/section of a board. :)

I did inspect it visually there is nothing obvious from the way the caps look. No leaked or blown or bulged ones....
Guess I have to remove the board apart to start making some good assessments...
Not to mention , this deck seems to be a beast when it comes to the circuit. There are 2 separate circuit boards one for playback and one for record subsystems. The PCB itself is very dense and there are tons of wires that are soldered onto the board. Not very encouraging...
I m sure this is going to be a nightmare.......:spank:

I sent a TC645 to the dump after grappling with a similar issue. (GASP)
One channel would disappear after a while rather than distort.

Like you say, there was a LOT going on in there and it was pretty messy trying get access.

I did make sense of the wiring and layout etc but never found the root of the problem.

I hope someone jumps in to help you with this.

Thanks for your response... I really hope if some one who is a SME on Sony tape corder machines pitch in and help me out

Back