Sony MDS-JB940?

badgas

I bought a home entertainment system a few years ago.
A collections of various brands, Tuner, CD player, Cassette player, and at the time I had no idea what a Mini-Disk player was.

I was just looking at it, trying to decide what it was, and if I wanted to keep it or take it out this weekend target practicing with me.

I just found out it has a record mode.
Can I run my music through the tuner and into the Mini Player/Recorder and record it on those little disks?

Thanks.

Sony MDS-JE470

badgas,

I too just recently got a mini-disk recorder/player that my wife bought me for my birthday and didn't know nothing about how to use it. Luckily in my situation I did however have a manual that came with it. Apparently there are some you can get that play a much higher sample rate even twice as better than the CD sample rate which only reads roughly 144kb but the mini-disk read something around a 188kb or something like that so I heard.

Anyway, as I was saying, since I got this mini-disk recorder/player I had transfered all my backing that I used from CD when I was playing them in a CD 6 Stacker to the mini-disks and it's been great, I found that I can re-record over older versions of songs as I make them better in sound quality and delete the old, then record the updated one on it and then move the songs to any order on the mini-disk as I please. It has a X2 and X4 disk compacity that I'm yet to discover as this will allow me to not only just record 25 songs on each disk but X2 will allow me to record 50 songs and with the X4 will allow me to record 100 songs on each mini-disk and apparently if you record them all in mono, you can also double that again and record 200 songs on each mini-disk. But then again, like I said, I'm yet to discover this and it's other features as in pre-programming a bracket(s) for my gigs.

It's been the best thing that I've come across and been having lots of fun. I've tried it just this last Friday night at a gig and it went over really well. Nice clear and gutsy sound, no distortion, just clear and plenty of body. Of course, this is also due to the way I edit my midi file before recording them on the mini-disks.

It says something about digital recording in the manual and apparently digital recording again is much better in quality than just straight out analog. I'm still yet to discover this facility but not sure if I need to purchase another hardware device that allows me to do so.

So, You see, I'm still a little wet behind the ears with this great little machine myself.

The JB-940, I'm not so sure,... is it a component-style unit?

I think it is, also, I'm fairly sure the JE-470 is also a component-style unit.

These Sony MD units have analog RCA/stereo in's & out's, plus some models accept S/Pdif and optical inputs/outputs. Get the minidisc media, & it functions basically the same as a cassette recorder. The 2x & 4x record mode, as well as mono recording, is basically a sequential stepping down of recording quality, to raise the total recording time. The MD format I'm familiar with, runs hifi audio at [ATRAC encoded/data reduced format] 74 minutes of stereo per disc, also 80 minute minidiscs are now available. Actual data storage of the minidisc media is 140Mb, total, fixed, for a 74-minute normal stereo minidisc. [80-min disc/more].

Minidisc record quality is quite good. If you use it with a quality front end source, like an audio mixer, then your recordings can go live-to-stereo, on MD format. Too bad, but none of the Sony MD component style units I've scoped have had 1/4" mic inputs,... BUT,... I believe there are several TASCAM MD recorders that would have MIC inputs.

There's a 4-track and 8-track version of minidisc recorders for multitrack, and the standout units are the Tascam 564 Portastudio and the Yamaha MD8 portastudio-like device. However, these units use the MiniDisc-Data 140 discs for multitracking, which are more costly and harder to find than the normal stereo minidiscs,... but it's still a small, convenient, good sounding medium for multitrack, which is by far better than cassette. [Don't get me wrong,... I LIKE cassette!];)

Minidisc recording is just plain fun.

Oh yeah, HI ~gas!;)

Minidisc recording is cool,... try it! Try mixing down to MD, or going live-to-stereo through a mixer in MD. Minidisc recording is fun & easy. I especially like the component-style MD recorders over the mini-handheld MD recorders. Those little discs are pretty cool, & way more convenient than cassette, & sounds better too, in most cases. However, unless your source material is primarily from, or targeted at, mp3's, then I'd stick the full-hifi, 74-80-mins of stereo.

Bye ~gas!:cool:

Hi MrMusicAu.
I bought my rig right off the shelf. Honestly, I had no idea what I was buying. I had space on my shelf for one more hunk of hardware and I didn't have a mini-disk machine, so I got one.

I've done a fair share of whining to some of the folks I know around here. It has helped, as it turns out, one of my cousins has a machine just like me, and is suppose to be sending his wife over here with the manual sometime today. I'm sure I have a long wait cuz they both are bar flies and probably didn't get home till a few hours ago.
At this point all I can say is there are lots of inputs in the back. Looks like, and I'm guessing, there are optical and rca and a few other holes to put things in.

Hi Reel.
The only tape I've done is a cassette.
When I was in high school a few of the dads of the other guys in our group recorded us on some kind of big reel to reel machines. I wish I had one of those copies now....
I'm branching out, slowling. Digital, now mini, next will be midi.

Hey Badgas, go here and look around:

http://www.minidisc.org/

I've been using them for the last five years for live work without a hitch. Some Sony models break down, some don't. I've got three that work and a couple that don't .

Great for live recording, if you blow it with the hard disc recorder, you've got backup.

Thanks for the link, PhilBoyd.

My cousin's wife dropped the manuel off today. It does a lot of things. It even has a hole to plug a keyboard into to give it commands.

Thanks again.

Hey Phil.
Great Site, that link you left.
I snooped around a bit and found all kinds of interesting things.
One was the list price. $400.00.

When I bought mine, I had no idea what it was. I had a hole on my shelf that housed my home entertainment center so I plugged it with a MD deck. I got it and a five year warranty for $157.26. Circuit City.

I've been messing around with it and it's pretty cool.
Thanks again.

Back