Sony APR-5002 or 5003v

srs148

I've been digging this machine and would love to pick up a 5002 or 5003v- trouble is, there are none for sale. Does anyone have a lead on one from a friend of a friend of an uncle or someone who has one to sell? I've searched Craigslist around the country and ebay with no luck.

thanks!

They will pop up every now and then on ebay, but are kind of hard to find. Just a disclaimer: they are very difficult to service. You need to find a technician who has worked on them before. From what I understand, the machine is controlled by a computer and everything is somewhat synced up to it from what I understand. Also, parts are very hard to come by as Sony pretty much threw away all their spare parts for these era of machines. I'm lucky enough to have a technician who serviced these all the time back when they came out, but it's really hard to find someone who can work on them from what I've read.

There is a yahoo group dedicated to these and to a lesser extent the -24. They are indeed very difficult machines to work on. They rely completely on a cpu for everything. Those cpu's get their programs from EPROMs which now are so far past their use-by date that the machines are failing. If you do find a good running one, get the EPROMs duplicated immediately. parts for those are also a chore.
Maybe look at Otari MTR-10, -12, -15? Much easier to work on, parts are easier to find and spec wise they compare. Oh and more affordable.

There is a yahoo group dedicated to these and to a lesser extent the -24. They are indeed very difficult machines to work on. They rely completely on a cpu for everything. Those cpu's get their programs from EPROMs which now are so far past their use-by date that the machines are failing. If you do find a good running one, get the EPROMs duplicated immediately. parts for those are also a chore.
Maybe look at Otari MTR-10, -12, -15? Much easier to work on, parts are easier to find and spec wise they compare. Oh and more affordable.

For similar form-factor and sophistication (i.e. self-calibration, ability to store multiple calibration settings), the MTR15 is the only machine that compares of the MTR-series. Yes, they're easier to service (especially with an extender card), but those machines are every bit as rare as the APR5000 series and they're more expensive than the APRs these days for sure.

Contact me for a lead on an APR5003v... I know a guy who has one for sale if you're willing to coordinate all shipping - he won't even drop it off for shipment from where he's located.

And PS. If anyone has a friend of a friend of someone who knows someone who has an MTR15 they want to sell, please let me know. I'll give you a finders fee :).

Back