Sony ACID new sound card

protech

I use Sony ACID and i need to upgrade my sound card (it's old).

1: I need something like a Soundblaster or similar to go inside
my PC - any recomoendations?

2: Is one sound card more powerful than another in terms of
the workload it can peform? By that I mean like with graphics
cards, most of the processing is handeld on the card to take the
strain of the CPU. Is this the same with audio cards? and if so
any recomendations? If i had a better sound card would it allow
me to run more plugins at once? Rendar audio faster?

PT

Depends on what you're talking about. If you mean for games, then yes, to some degree. If you mean for recording, it doesn't matter what you use, but some audio interfaces certainly sound cleaner than others.

Please stay away from gamer card like the Soundblaster. They 'enhance your gaming experience' and at the same time mess with the quality of your music which can lead you to make bad decisions.

Again, depends on whether the original poster is replacing it for gaming or for recording. For recording, yeah, avoid the SB and I'd probably avoid anything PCI in general; it's mostly old tech.

If you need just RCA Stereo In and Out + a headphone out w/ volume control ... look at the Behringer UFO-202 USB device ... I picked on up for my laptop for under $40 Cdn.

And it can be used with a Turntable too (with the flick of a swicth). I don't.

I use it mainly for headphones and line out to my stereo from the laptop, but have Line In of the USB connected into channel 1 & 2 output of my old Yamaha 4-track, and the line-out of the USB to input 5&6 of the Yamaha.
So, you can record & have the volume IN control from the mixer, and not have the USB Out get bled into those New tracks. Might be cheezy for now, but a better setup awaits.

Back